Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after being my night stand for about 2 or 3 months i finally found time to install the darn thing!

i used to have a performer and i wasnt too sure wether id lose some low end or throttle response by going to the stealth bc of their " advertised" power band being so much higher.

but, the car really GAINED IN EVERY rpm range without a doubt,despite my pretty mild cam. it has better response any time i step on the gas.it seems to rev smoother and quicker, idles smoother. i think i also gained a few hundred RPM's on the top end too. it seems to pull alot harder in the mid-range when i really get on it.i can be rollin' in third gear at around 20-25 mph , mash on it so it kicks down to first and itl just roast the tires. im quite impressed, its a much better manifold than that crummy old performer i had on there.it sure looks good too, i cant wait to get ahold of some fabricated aluminum valve covers so i can get rid of those old chrome ones.

its alot taller than the performer, especially with the 1" 4 hole spacer i am using but thats ok, thats why i bought a 3" cowl hood.

. this manifold works GREAT , even with a mild combo! 165 bucks very well spent, and lived up to all the positive things people on here have been saying about it.

now that i have a great intake and exhaust on the car i can maybe adress my stock heads after all these years. now maybe i can use my tax return on some afr 165's or something of the sort. >:)

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Happy to hear you like the Stealth...no surprise it works better than the Performer. ;)

Where did you get the cowl hood and how was/is the fit & finish of it?

·
Registered
345 Posts
What Edelbrock cam are you using? I've got 204/[email protected] degree cam, same as the Edelbrock Performer I believe, and I thought changing out the stock intake would hurt my low end torque and hp.
With a 3.00 rear my 289 spends most of its time below 3000rpm, would you recommend the Stealth even then?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my cowl hood is from Maier. to my surprise the fit was pretty good. it took some work getting it lined up.

the seem on the drivers side does run pretty close, and tends to "sink" a bit the closer tou get to the cowl. overall, not too bad. i still havent got it painted bc i am short on cash for something like painting. but since its gel coated it looks like it has a coat of clear so its not so bad.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the performer cam . with 3.55 gears it goes through the rpm's pretty fast and il usually rarely exceed 5k rpm's. but it made a diff both above and below 3000 for the better.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Adding the Stealth and Edelbrock 500cfm carb on my car has made the most noticable diff over the old single plane Weiand Xcellerator and too big Holley 670cfm Street Avenger carb. No more bogging and lots more power from 1500 - 3k. Like you I rarely go over 5k anyway so this combo was a good fit for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts