Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://frickinbrite.com/catalog/images/57_HP_W.jpg

V-LEDs Link

Hey guys, in my year's long search for a good LED BA9S based, direct replacement for 1895 style dash bulbs I've never been able to find any off the shelf LED's that were an improvement. Until NOW. I had my rally pak off to replace the clock mechanism, and after cleaning everything up tried a set of those and a set of brand-new 1895's for direct comparisson. The V-LED led's are roughly twice as bright. Should be a major improvement for both those bulbs and the bulbs on the gauge cluster. They are $9.99 a pair. I bought 4 more for my '65 gauge cluster too. Should be a pretty big improvement.

The LED's pull 1W each, which is .083 Amps. This compares favorable with an 1895 bulb that pulls .27 Amps. So...twice the bright for 1/3 the power.

Phil

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Great! I have a cluster to restore and I'll give them a go.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good info. I've been looking for a good LED replacement.

Brian

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Got any pics of them working?

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. I've tried this in the past. The problem is you can't judge how bright something is unless you see a direct comparison taken in the same photo, because the exposure can vary. You'll just have to take my word on it.

Phil

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hey Phil,

Will these dim, or are they on/off only?

Thanks,

Mark

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have them installed in the car yet. My testing was done directly to 12V, so I haven't tested the dimmer feature on these HOWEVER...every LED I've ever tested has given off light in proportion to voltage, meaning the dimmer SHOULD work fine. The only thing that is really different about these is polarity does matter. Diodes by their nature only allow current to pass in one direction. You can hook it up backwards, and it won't work. If you're just putting it into the existing bulb socket this won't be a problem. But if you are bench testing them, you'll need to apply +12 to the bottom tip of the base and the ground to the outside.

BTW...if you aim it at your eyes and turn it on, it'll temporarily blind you. They are, as the website implies...Fricken Bright.

Phil

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I am getting these today! Thanks. Do they have bulbs for the 67 trunk light, front turn signals and reverse lights?

I don't know those bulb numbers by heart or I would look it up myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Wonder if they are any different than these .

LEDS on ebay
http://www.hipoparts.com/images/6566LEDCluster2.jpg

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's different for sure. According to that site, they are using blue LED's.

In the past, when I've compared blue LED's with no lens to White LED's with a blue lens, the white LEDs are actually brighter. At least on all the one's I've looked at, Blue LEDs don't put out nearly as much light as the white ones. The one's he is selling their as a kit may be the exception. The Blue LED's also give off a noticiably different color than what you get by using the stock filters.

That V-Leds also sells blue versions of the white LEDs I bought. If someone goes that route I'd be interested to know how it turns out for you.

Phil

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
HoosierBuddy said:
I don't have them installed in the car yet. My testing was done directly to 12V, so I haven't tested the dimmer feature on these HOWEVER...every LED I've ever tested has given off light in proportion to voltage, meaning the dimmer SHOULD work fine. The only thing that is really different about these is polarity does matter. Diodes by their nature only allow current to pass in one direction. You can hook it up backwards, and it won't work. If you're just putting it into the existing bulb socket this won't be a problem. But if you are bench testing them, you'll need to apply +12 to the bottom tip of the base and the ground to the outside.

BTW...if you aim it at your eyes and turn it on, it'll temporarily blind you. They are, as the website implies...Fricken Bright.

Phil
I have a set of Autometer gauges, the Cobalt series. These are illuminated by LEDs and while they dimmer, it is not linear. As I adjust the setting some dim faster and more than others, looks pretty strange. All of the gauges are fed by the same 12 volt + and grounded with the same wire.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
HoosierBuddy said:
It's different for sure. According to that site, they are using blue LED's.

In the past, when I've compared blue LED's with no lens to White LED's with a blue lens, the white LEDs are actually brighter. At least on all the one's I've looked at, Blue LEDs don't put out nearly as much light as the white ones. The one's he is selling their as a kit may be the exception. The Blue LED's also give off a noticiably different color than what you get by using the stock filters.

That V-Leds also sells blue versions of the white LEDs I bought. If someone goes that route I'd be interested to know how it turns out for you.

Phil
I could not find the LEDs you purchased on the V-LED website in blue, only white. Am I missing something?

Also, how many did lights did you purchase for your instrument panel?

·
Registered
759 Posts
66Hertz, are you using the stock dimmer built into the headlight switch? If so, that's your problem. The Cobalts (as well as all Auto Meter LED gauges) require the use of their LED dimmer module to properly dim the gauges. It's in their catalog and on their web site...

·
Registered
269 Posts
not to thread jack but these guys have a lamp replacement guide that rocks

lists every bulb for the car ! ! ! ! !

1967 FORD Mustang

High & low beam headlamp
H6024
H6024ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: The Whiter and Brighter Halogen
H6024XV XtraVision Halogen - The Brighter Light
H6024CB Cool Blue Halogen - The Whiter Light

Parking light
1157LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Front turn signal

Rear turn signal

Tail light

Stop light

License plate

Back up light

Ash tray

Glove box

Map light

Dome light
1003LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Step/Courtesy light
1003LL Long Life Upgrade: Up to twice the life of the standard lamp

Trunk/Cargo area

Under hood light

Instrument-general

Brake warning

Automatic transmission indicator

Clock

Directional signal indicator

Ignition switch

Radio dial

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I wonder what the output specs are for these (i.e. lumens)? I have cheapo blue led's from ebay and they are about the same brightness as blue light bulbs. At $10/pair, it might be an expensive upgrade for my dash :lol:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm dubious. While these LEDs may be brighter, the problem in putting LEDs in a vintage mustang gauge cluster is the lack of light diffusion of the LEDs versus incandescent bulbs. They just do not provide the indirect light necessary to illuminate the gauges properly.

·
Registered
719 Posts
masergt said:
I'm dubious. While these LEDs may be brighter, the problem in putting LEDs in a vintage mustang gauge cluster is the lack of light diffusion of the LEDs versus incandescent bulbs. They just do not provide the indirect light necessary to illuminate the gauges properly.
You can buy led's with wider diffusion patterns that work very well in gauges. I used to make them back home. Generally the more expensive the better the spread

·
7,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
masergt said:
Which is why I've tested every LED I could get my hands on in a cluster, not just by looking at them directly. Be dubious. I stand by my assessment. These are brighter than an 1895.

Phil

1 - 20 of 33 Posts