Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seven months in the paint and body shop my 66 is home. I took the day off to reacquaint myself with the car.

The body and paint work is impressive, I found a nice big run though, the good news is it is on the inside of the tail light panel. All the body panels line up perfectly. The doors, hood and trunk close with ease and latch perfectly. The windows are a little stiff when rolling up and down.

I did find some problems with my plans for the engine. I have a 331 stroker, and used a Edelbrock Air Gap manifold. I used a MSD ready to dizzy, I discovered this afternoon that the Cobra air filter will never fit. The MSD is just to high, when I set the air filter on the carb it rests on the top of the spark plug wires, leaving almost an inch between the air filter base and the carb. I will have to look at other air filter choices.

I also discovered the March billet alternator bracket will require modification to fit the Flow Cooler water I used. The bracket hits the casting near the lower mounting hole, preventing the bolt from lining up. The pump casting looks very thin there, I may have to grind the edge off the bracket so that it will lay flat against the pump.

I will take some photos tomorrow or Saturday so you can see the progress made. Jeff

·
Registered
607 Posts
Congrats on getting your car back and it turning out up to your expectations!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Cool. I bet the dizzy I'm running would work.

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/689808/1145806/51183884.jpg

It's an MSD Pro-Billet small diameter PN 8579 (which they also make with vaccum advance) with the PN 8441 wide cap they make for it now. This clears a 14" air cleaner. The regular Pro-Billet doesn't. The pic is of a Weiand Stealth, Demon 650, 1/2" spacer, and a 1-1/2" drop base 14" air cleaner. You will need an MSD box, though. And if you don't like the red you can use a Ford cap, which is gray.

Here's an old pic that shows what the cap that comes with it looks like:

http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326/689808/1145806/13735174.jpg

The cap it comes with is OK. The old cap is what I ran a 12.8 with. But it's not vented. Drilling a couple holes in the back fixes that, though.

Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts