Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long winter of working on this thing and learning how these old cars work it’s finally out of the garage and on the road. Many thanks to all of you who responded to my many questions and helped me along the way. I honestly couldn’t have done it without all your help! The plan is to enjoy it for a couple of years then hopefully move on to getting the paint in order.
6F53E540-3EE4-43C4-B225-664A94AD1369.jpeg
092F49DD-C0B9-40F7-B471-4C60001CD86F.jpeg
E4CB4374-BF1B-4D69-A106-A894DBD19AA5.jpeg

·
Registered
980 Posts
Congratulations! Nice looking 68. Really like the stance. Also the tires & wheels.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@erials Thank you. I really like the stance too. I do really need to get new shocks though. The car has been sitting for at least 20 years. I’m hoping it doesn’t change the way it sits to much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@4ocious It’s actually not the original color. I inherited this car from my father-in-law and when he was driving it he had it painted in the blue you see in the picture. It was originally sea foam green, with a black vinyl top. I’d seen a car with a lime gold green color and really liked that. But after a couple of years who knows what I’ll want by then?‍♂

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
264 Posts
After a long winter of working on this thing and learning how these old cars work it’s finally out of the garage and on the road. Many thanks to all of you who responded to my many questions and helped me along the way. I honestly couldn’t have done it without all your help! The plan is to enjoy it for a couple of years then hopefully move on to getting the paint in order. View attachment 747580 View attachment 747581 View attachment 747582
I bet its a nice feeling to be driving it. Good job.

·
Registered
221 Posts
A great day!, Looks like the kiddos enjoyed it too! Another vote for the same color...lol.. love that blue!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Jmo1999 It certainly is. It’s the first time I’ve ever driven it. It’s only a 6 cyl but still a ton of fun to drive.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
As those kids grow up, there is an advantage to having a beater but presentable paint job. Kids are tough on a car with bicycles, footballs etc... Besides, you need to be putting away for their college education, its real and it comes and when you kid comes running and says; "Dad, I got into Cornell" - talk about Sweet and Sour Sauce!!!

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,678 Posts
I wouldn't touch the paint yet either, it looks great the way it is. Conversions and paint and body tend to snowball. I also say enjoy it with the family and drive the heck out of it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Congratulations! I also have a 68 that i just finished restoring. Great cars! I'd leave that paint as it is if i were you. Just drive and enjoy

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I certainly do plan on driving it as much as I can. The one prob is that I have 3 kids and that doesn’t work to well with the mustang. As far as the paint is concerned it doesn’t look to bad from a distance but there is a fair amount of rust in the back fenders. Purely cosmetic but I would like to eventually get it fixed. We shall see.
image.jpg

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The car will still turn heads even with the rust. Congrats on getting into running condition. Nice car!
When you do get around to it, address the rot around the rockers. It might look cosmetic, but the rockers are structural. I was concerned with mine, but mine is a convertible and I did have to weld in some new steel underneath... compromised rockers could mean the car folding in half :) At least you have a roof.
And, another vote for keeping the color... and squeeze the kids in for a ride around the neighborhood. I've done it with my grandkids quite a few times. They love the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts