Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a fastback since I was 15 looking for my first car. I didn't have the extra money at the time so I bought a White 65 coupe with a 6cyl. About a year later, I sold that car and bought a Wimbledon white 66 Coupe because V8 reasons. Again, didn't have the money for the fastback. I got very ill and had to sell that car after owning it around 6 years. I loved that car, but didn't hesitate to sell due to financial constraints resulting from the illness. Several years later I bought a 66 dark blue Coupe that needed a complete overhaul. I realized I didn't have the time or the money for that, so after 2 years and a BUNCH of parts later I sold it for about what I had into it.

Fastforward around 10 years later, and here we are!!!!! I was looking online, getting VERY discouraged over the asking price/quality most sellers are demanding. I checked Autotempest one more time. I saw this car for a price I could justify and made a phone call followed up with a text sealing my intent. The seller was interested in purchasing a different fastback and needed to move quickly. I gave a guarantee that I'd buy it as long as it was being fairly represented in the ad and on the phone. We reached an agreement, and met me at my home and the rest as they say is history!

66 Mustang, Night Mist Blue... Does need some attention, panel gaps and paint are the only real issues with the car. Mechanically very sound! The seller drove it roughly 1.5 hours to my home as he had other objectives in the area... This is one of the most original Mustangs I've ever seen. Some very tasteful upgrades have been made (wheels/brakes/stereo) But for the most part, it's just been maintained with a few new replacement parts to freshen the car up.

My plans are simple at this point. I'm going to enjoy it as is for a while! Things I will do, 5spd conversion, suspension tweaks, considering the clear shelby side windows, 350 style hood/front valance when it's time for paint.
I was planning on a full GT350R type look, but this car is simply too clean to do that right now. It may earn a stripe at some point, but for now... I'm loving this car so much!!!

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Congratulations! The car looks great and the pictures of the interior are really nice. It looks like you made a really good buy on the car and have good intentions to continue the project to make the car "yours". Good Luck!

Reactions: Mel_llama

·
Registered
116 Posts
Looks like that car will live up to your expectations. Congrats on getting it, sounds like the timing was right. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny thing happened at the bank. I shut the car off so we could get the money, but we had to go through the drive through instead. Hopped back into the car and it wouldn't start. I think it was due to the heat? Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

·
Registered
116 Posts
What does it do when it wont start? Does it spin over too slow to start? Do you have headers and stock style starter? An upgrade to a hi torque mini starter may be what you need to crank it up when the exhaust is hot right next to the starter.

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock manifolds, dual Flowmaster exhaust was added by the PO. It spun slowly, then more slowly... Then seller jumped me and it was fine.

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw this car pop up on Craigslist. It looked like a good buy. I sent it to my brother and told him it wouldn’t last the day being for sale! Congrats
It was on for 10 hours before I committed to buy it. They removed it the next day.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Like mentioned previously, do what you would like to the car, but keep all those parts you decide to remove. What's the story with the rear window trim?

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Like mentioned previously, do what you would like to the car, but keep all those parts you decide to remove. What's the story with the rear window trim?
Good eye!
The PO removed them as he was about to take them to the bodyshop for paint. Then he saw another car he wanted more.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Good eye!
The PO removed them as he was about to take them to the bodyshop for paint. Then he saw another car he wanted more.
So did the PO give you the trim? The repros really suck and you have to keep your eyes open for any used ones that come up for sale.

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So did the PO give you the trim? The repros really suck and you have to keep your eyes open for any used ones that come up for sale.
Unfortunately no. He said he tossed them as they weren't up to standard. Wasn't aware of the repros being an issue. Well... Looking for tim now!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts