Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Sounds like a weak battery, first guess. Did he rebuild it...maybe high compression. You might want to convert to a PMGR starter. Ford used them in the mid 90s, and they should have an easier time turning your engine over when it's hot. You can also pick up some high performance PMGR starters, but the OEM should be an improvement. The 95 SN95 was the last year of the old pushrod 5.0 on the stang, so any O'rielly auto or Auto Zone should list it....or rock auto, etc. Around $50, these days.

Reactions: Mel_llama

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Nice car.
I'd install a Scott Drake export brace as one of the first things to be done.
I glossed over this... Is the Scott Drake much better than what's in there now? Should I consider something "better" since I'll be in there changing things?

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I glossed over this... Is the Scott Drake much better than what's in there now? Should I consider something "better" since I'll be in there changing things?
Yes, an export brace is a lot better than what you have in there now. The word here on VMF is the Scott Drake export brace has made from a heavier gauge metal than most of what else is out there. I'm really down on Scott Drake stuff, but I'll go with the majority here regarding the export brace.

·
Premium Member
1966 Fastback, 289 - C4
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Yes, an export brace is a lot better that what you have in there now. The word here on VMF is the Scott Drake export brace has made from a heavier gauge metal than most of what else is out there. I'm really down on Scott Drake stuff, but I'll go with the majority here regarding the export brace.
Thanks! Should I add the Monte-carlo bar at the same time?

·
Registered
270 Posts
As far as I can tell, it's bone stock aside from the electric choke... 2V carb, stock intake/manifolds. But he did add a 2.5" exhaust with Flowmasters... sounds freaking great!

Last Mustang I had sported an Edelbrock intake/carb... I recall it having much more off the line excitement! There are so many ways to go with it. I don't want to push too hard yet before I know how the rest of the drivetrain will respond.

I am leaning towards the T5 swap.

Right now I'm enjoying the car for what it is. Maybe some bolt on goodies will be fun! I plan on introducing upgrades in a methodical manner to note how they transform the car... It took me a very long time to get this car, so I'm enjoying the journey. Maybe I'm just getting old lol
T5 swap and some better gears is a great way to go to improve acceleration and still have a good cruising RPM. I upgraded from a worn out T10 and factory gears (2.73?) back in December and I couldn’t be happier. I now have a T5 and 3.80s. Of course now I’m in the search for more power...=D

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yes, an export brace is a lot better than what you have in there now. The word here on VMF is the Scott Drake export brace has made from a heavier gauge metal than most of what else is out there. I'm really down on Scott Drake stuff, but I'll go with the majority here regarding the export brace.
Is the export brace upgrade recommended for better handling or for other reasons? I haven’t heard much about this upgrade yet.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Is the export brace upgrade recommended for better handling or for other reasons? I haven’t heard much about this upgrade yet.

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
51 Posts
Congratulations on the best model Mustang ever in my opinion ! Like your story of getting to this point and your future plans for it but you have a great car to enjoy now just the way it is .
IMG_20190911_162822.jpg

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thanks! Should I add the Monte-carlo bar at the same time?
In one word - yes - just make it a straight one ;) :LOL:

And another suspension upgrade to consider is adding a @zray crossmember.

John

41 - 52 of 52 Posts