Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just painted Dark Moss Green Met. And I have another stripe questions for the experts. What color should I paint the Lemans stripes ? I always thought they were always Wimbleton White but some say paint to match the side stripes which is more of a bold / crisp white. I am leaning towards WW , any advice ? Thanks

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ryan, I have thought about the no stripes, especially when I see them everywhere these days. This will be a 67 Shelby Clone, and with this color I really think the white Leman Stripes really add a lot of eye appeal to the car. I don't think I have seen a Dark Moss Shelby with no stripes, perhaps someone will post one ? Someone on here has a Red Shelby Clone that looks great with no stripes, perhaps I need to consider this option... hmmm

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lemans and Shelby side stripes from Branda

Your side stripes are super cool, I don't see how you did it ! especially with the small lettering on the bottom thin stripe? Very Nice tooch.

Unlike you I cannot take credit for the paint work. Howard Webb and Son of Classic Cars of VA They have been great to work with.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I might go a different route. How about the Gold like the Hertz cars in '66. I think it would look awesome against the metallic paint.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang Ryan, how the heck did you find a pic of one that fast w/o stripes ! arghh... I really hate to be wishy washy, especially when it involves someone elses time. They are suppose to be painting stripes in the next day or two...

RedGTVert, your cars speak for themselves. Really Really clean. What engine is in your Black car ?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The WW is really more like a cream when you open the can next to a true clean white. But in my opinion the clean bright white actually looks too "new" if you know what I mean. What I did was take a clean bright white and mixed about 30% WW in with it just to give it more of a nostalgia look and feel. It was bright enough to match the standard GT-500 tape stripes but creamy enough to give it a more natural look and blend better with the paint. The bright white seems to contrast TOO much with the paint.

Nice car and nice work too.

·
Registered
447 Posts
monkeystash said:
Here ya go, drool.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/67-68/67/1967GreenShelbyGT500.jpg
Nice car but it looks as if GT-500 is centered. Stripes in front of GT-500 is correct but no stripe between GT-500 and fender to door seam.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Dusty, I think this is a safe route to go. I really appreciate your input. I look foward to installing those seat belts I got from ya ! Hey any idea where I can get the retractors and boots for them ?

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Awesome color and work. I wouldn't put the Lemans on either. I'm diggin' the "clean" look.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Looks good either way. On dark cars, they look fine without stripes. If you stripe it, I would lean toward WW or a shade brighter. If it's too white you won't like it and it will be too contrasty. Why not just paint the rocker panel stripes with the same paint and avoid the cheapo sticker stripes?

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Just to throw this out there....

Why do the stripes have to be White? Why couldn't they be a medium gray, a dark shade of silver or even Black?

The White stripes on a Dark Green car will provide a LOT of constrast. If this is the look you're going for, I'd use something between WW and true white. If you're going for a more subtle look, think about a stripe color that will not contrast as much... even "ghost" stripes would look good on this dark green... just a couple shades lighter or darker than the base color.

Good luck and the car looks really nice!

Dave

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You guys are killing me... so many options. I have been waiting almost 3 years to get it to this point and obviously had not thought it all the way through to this point. Just picking the body color was a struggle enough. I really like the idea of painting the side stripes instead. I need to call him today ! I also need to focus on work today, but keep checking the darn VMF and thinking about this car! ever have that problem?

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,684 Posts
monkeystash said:
How about no stripes? That color looks too darn good to ruin with stripes.
+1

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
If you paint on the stripes you stil have the issue of the proper letters. If you do those in tape you have a problem with the color matching the painted stripe. I'd go with the side decals and do the off white Lemans stripes. It's a classic look for a classic car.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts