Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought it had beat me many a time but I hereby claim success. The front bushing bolt took me a total of 4 hours to remove. Those 4 hours saw the use of a sawzall, a jig saw, a die grinder, and a 4.5" angle grinder. The other side should go smoother now that I've learned a thing or two. Oh wait, the PO has welded a 1/4" patch over the access hole in the framerail, Doooh. Oh well, tomorrow is another day.
Micah

·
Registered
154 Posts
I feel you pain, I worked 8-9 hours last weekend removing the entire rear end assembnly from my 66 Conv project in order to get to the frame rails. I need to buy stock in sawzall.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
here are my "tricks".
1. Have the car as high as you can on jack stands.

2. Support axle.

3. Borrow a torch. Cut the old spring off right in front of the eye bolt area. This is so you can get the sawzall into the bolt at the correct angle. (5 minutes)

4. Just plan on cutting both sides of the eye bolt, then all you have to do is knock out the ends. (15 to 20 minutes each cut). Also mounting the blade backwards sometimes helps get the correct angle.

Best of luck.

John Harvey

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey John,
That's kinda what I ended up doing. I cut the spring off at the eye with a cutoff wheel on my grinder then cut off both ends of the bolt with the die grinder cutoff wheel and a sawzall (while the compressor was catching back up).
Micah

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I tried cutting one spring with a grinder and the sawzall. It took just slighlty less long than "forever" - it also did a number on my ears! The torch on the second spring took all of 5 to 10 seconds! If you can I highly recommend you find a torch! Also just slide the sawzall blade in between the rubber bushing and the mounting plate. Then you only have to cut through the 1/2 inch bolt itself, not the whole head.

Best of luck.

John

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine took me an entire week, working eveinings after work, to extract the pair. I feel your pain bro!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Jim, I noticed you also have a 460, tell me about it if you've got time. If you are interested there is a great forum on Network 54 for the 385 Series engines. It is very active and purely technical on only 429s and 460s (a few 370's). It has been a great source of information for myself.
Micah

1 - 7 of 7 Posts