Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Texas. I've starting the process of restoring a 1968 Fastback. It's a C code car, 289 2bbl with a 3 speed manual. The original car was Wimbledon White with red vinyl interior. Build date was Dec, 1967. Currently, I have the car at a Mustang restoration shop getting the sheet metal work done. My plan is to make it a Bullitt tribute. I've started sourcing parts while the body work is being done. I just picked up a 390fe out of a 68 Galaxy. There is a long way to go but I'm excited to start the journey.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is the way I found it. The previous owner had it in his company warehouse just collecting dust. Someone had started taking it apart and stopped so it just sat collecting dust but it was all there. I had been asking him for several years to sell it to me but he always refused. Then one day when I asked, he said he wanted to get rid of it. He gave me a price and I went to the bank and got the money. It's been two years since I bought it and I am just now moving forward with the restoration.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Let's get it on ! !

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
Start a Build Thread, I’d like to follow.

·
Registered
9,508 Posts
Very nice. Here are few polite suggestions so I can vicariously get involved in the build:

- Since you already have three pedals on the floor, install an overdrive trans behind that 390. Top loaders are getting pretty expensive. If you're going to buy a new trans anyway, might as well make it 5 or 6 gears. I put a TKO-600 into my Mach 1. It also came from the factory with a 3-speed manual. It was a lot of money and some extra effort, but wow, I'm sure glad I did it! Bolted right in.

- Consider using aluminum heads on your 390. A stock 390 is a great truck engine. Not so great as a muscle car engine, in my opinion. Aluminum heads are now readily available and will make a HUGE boost in power with the right cam and intake combo. The 390 intake is gigantic and also mighty heavy. An aluminum intake with aluminum heads will shave some SERIOUS weight off the front end and make it more fun to drive. Paint them Ford Corporate Dark Blue and almost nobody will be the wiser.

- Since it's got a big block, definitely install disc brakes up front if the car doesn't have them. Factory discs or KH non-power discs would be fine. No need for rear discs unless you're going racing.

- Have fun!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts