Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, I picked up the motor and rear end. I was shocked at the rear end - it looked so nice and yes I'm glad I bought the Lincoln versailles with rear disk. The motor is just itching to be dropped in, but first, I need your advise, what to use for the waterpump, fuelpump and fan???????

Since the need to swap tranny's, I thought about attaching the tranny to the engine before installation. Yes/No?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi Dan
After installing hundreds of engines/trannys Ive found that it's easier (at least for me) to bolt up the tranny while the engine sits on a stand. Some people prefer to install it after getting the motor in, but unless you have a lift and tranny jack its just no fun. You really don't need a second pair of hands if you take it slow and easy.....

As for waterpump and fan issue's, I don't know what motor you'll be running so I can't give you any advise on that.

Glad you didn't sell the FB ::

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Danno,

You can bolt the Engine & Trany together and install as one, but you'll need allot of clearance under the car to handle the extra length AND you will need a lift harness tilt control. I did my install by myself in 2 pieces and had no problem lifting my/your :: Cobra T5 into place by myself from under the car while it was on jackstands.

BTW, an Edelbrock, or stock aluminum water pump & 6-blade fan should do the job. Especially if you're going with a 1"X2 core aluminum radiator.

Ken

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ken,
I have 8 jacks, floor jack, and an engine hoist to do it. Will I need any thing else? So you wouldn't think about the spal fan on August special? I've had multiple people highly recommend it.

Dean,

I had a '72 302 bored .030 over, matched up with 351 heads, ported/polished, teflon coated pistons, aluminum rockers, B303 cam, speed demon 650 carb, edelbrock performer manifold, and lots of MSD stuff. I was trying to get close to 400 hp and when I am finished assemblying it, I will take it to the dyno.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Depends on how High off the floor you can get the car, and how steep you can tilt the motor.

As to the Spal; you will not add any HP by going with the Spal unless you go with an electric water pump as well. But it WILL increase your cooling capacity regardless of what type of radiator you use. I just know that the money is best spent at the beginning of your build considering you already plan to use an upgraded radiator.

In my case, I've not seen the need for an electric fan yet. But I bet Keith might have some comments about this :p

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
Spal Fan and a March pulley setup would be pretty sweet...hey, Its only money... ::

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi Ken-
I hate to admit this, but ive NEVER used anything other than a simple chain to install engines with or without trannys ::. A few years ago I did buy a carb plate to help with centering.

As for jacking a car up to install a motor/tranny combo....thats not necessary, either. The last motor/trans I put in a mustang (a few weeks ago) actually had the rear end lifted about a foot off the ground, and the darn thing was almost easier to install ::

I don't mean to step on anyone's toe's, but Ive even installed SB motors in cars with the export brace still on (and they said that could not be done! ::)

Good luck with it Danno....sounds like a very nice powerplant!

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Leave it to the man with ALL the resto experience :: J/K

Guess we all have a few skeletons in our closets :: :p

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
If you like, you can borrow my engine tilt thingy. It has a hand crank on the front which just drives a screw which changes the cg. It's really helpful for not hurting engine compt. paint and if you're alone.
I'm in Maple Valley if you're interested.
PM me.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
You mean you're not supposed to be able to install the engine/tranny with the export brace in place? I did mine with the C4 attached and the export brace installed. I didn't know I wasn't supposed to be able to do that::

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi Keith,
Thats what I was told by many people who were "suppose" to be "expert" installers :eek: The only one that I was truly worried about (leaving the export brace on) was the 69 Mach that we put a 460 in :: Not a lot of room to work with on a swap like that ::

1 - 11 of 11 Posts