Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week i went to the auto auction and they were practically giving away a crown vic's free with the purchase of a coke. The ones from around 1990 paint did not hold up well in georgia. So you get the basic effect of pealing clearcloat pulling off of dull basecoat.

Any difference i should know about between the 5'0's found in mustangs and ones found in full sized sedans?

Are the 5.0's all the same regardless of ford, lincoln, mercury?

would the 89 to 93 all have mass air sensors regardless if it was a mustang or not?

any chance of find a 5.0 High Output? maybe a lincoln?

·
Registered
637 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, only the mustangs and lincolns had the H.O. motors. If you plan on retaining stock ends and bottom end, stick with the H.O. Some years (I can't remember which) came with forged pistons & rods and all of them had the good E7 casting heads. The heads on regular 5.0's sucked; the motors lost life at around 4,000 rpm because of them and the cams are also wimpy. If in doubt when looking at a motor, the plate on the very top of the intake plenum will lend a clue. The plate will read "5.0 H.O." or "5.0". Kind of a dead giveaway unless someone changed the plate.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
If in doubt about a HO motor you can remove the HO plate on the intake and HO will be cast into the manifold. Wont gauarantee the whole motor is HO but the intake definately will be...

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Ford Mustangs, Lincoln Mark's (7 or 8), and Mercury Capri's all have 5.0's starting in different years. As for the Mustang History, if going fuel injection and it sounds like you are, the best year would be 89-93 unless you can find a 88cali or one that already has a MAF conversion. It's really easy to tell, look at the air inlet tube with the filter going into the fender or with the open filter and see if it has a black unit on it with wires going back to the harness and intake. If it's just the tube/hose than it's speed density which isn't all that bad unless you plan on doing a lot of mods. If you find a good 86-88HO don't turn it down cause they're still hard to find, at least where I live. The speed density can be converted easily but there are other differences. Hmm where to start, 85 was the first true "HO" motor with the roller cam and 4V intake. 86 had flat top pistons(only year) and if you are redoing it go to notched forged or hypereutectic otherwise you may run into some problems. 86 was the first fuel injection year(speed density) and it also used crappy experimental heads that don't flow well. 87 they went to the "truck" style better flowing "E7TE" heads they used til 95. Forged pistons came in 87 I believe also. 88 some cali cars had MAF, 89-present all "HO"'s did. Umm, in 93 they went to hypereutectic pistons and a slightly smaller cam .. not a big problem but a 92 is better and probably didnt wear as much. And yes, a Lincoln is a great find. I believe only 87-89 used the 302HO though .. I got a 87HO from a lincoln mark 7 and am rebuilding it now. One good thing about finding a lincoln is you know some kid wasn't out hot rodding it putting in gears and revving it 6000RPM daily to show off, that's why so many fox bodies get trashed and are less likely to be rebuildable blocks if theyve already been bored 40 or threw a rod or something. I dont know much abot Capris but I know that a LOT of fox body aftermarket engine stuff says fits mustang/capri but I'm not sure what years are what.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts