Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Where would you look for a 6 cylinder fan shroud for a 1965 mustang with ac.

2. What would be the part number.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
The part number is C3DZ-8146-C to answer your 2nd question. Must you have/get an original? You might find it easier to get and trim a 3.5" V8 aftermarket shroud to fit. Those are readily available at most of the usual vendors.

·
Registered
35,306 Posts
In all my years of involvement in Mustangs, I have never seen a factory 65-66 6-cylinder fan shroud. You might say it's kinda rare.

·
Registered
731 Posts
California Mustang makes one specific for a 6 cyl. But, any V8 shroud will work. No trimming is needed. Just buy the right brackets for your radiator. 2-row, 3-row, etc...

·
Registered
762 Posts
They can claim anything they want, it's a V8 shroud. The I6 shroud was very different.
Hey, just trying to help here. It may very well be intended for a V8 but that doesn't mean that it won't work for an I6. I don't own an I6 so I don't claim to know for sure. I believe that NPD sells this one for under $30. Rick at NPD could probably tell you with surety if it will fit an I6 without modification.

·
Registered
35,306 Posts
Hey, just trying to help here. It may very well be intended for a V8 but that doesn't mean that it won't work for an I6. I don't own an I6 so I don't claim to know for sure. I believe that NPD sells this one for under $30. Rick at NPD could probably tell you with surety if it will fit an I6 without modification.
It won't. Tin snips will be required, at a minimum, to provide clearance on the lower radiator outlet, which is on the opposite side as the V8. It also provides a larger circle for the V8 fan, the I6 fan was a smaller diameter.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Would be helpful to know if the OP is looking for original as 4ocious asked...

Allen
Agreed. I apologize if I strayed "off track" and the OP is looking for a concours solution.

·
Registered
762 Posts
It won't. Tin snips will be required, at a minimum, to provide clearance on the lower radiator outlet, which is on the opposite side as the V8. It also provides a larger circle for the V8 fan, the I6 fan was a smaller diameter.
Now that's good information. I believe that another poster claimed that a V8 shroud would fit without modification... but that reply appears to have been retracted. Now we have the straight scoop with facts to support it. It's a good thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I am not the OP but also have an I6 and would like to pick up a fan shroud. And no, it does not need to be original. Radiator is stock and no A\C. I don't mind doing some fabrication when it makes sense. What would be the best direction to head in? Modifying a V8 shroud (if needed) or something else?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have used V8 shrouds on my 200. Both fiberglass and metal. No modifications were needed. They fit fine. I have a metal one on it now. Maybe I was just lucky or my memory sucks. Probably both :smile2:

·
Registered
35,306 Posts
I have used V8 shrouds on my 200. Both fiberglass and metal. No modifications were needed. They fit fine. I have a metal one on it now. Maybe I was just lucky or my memory sucks. Probably both :smile2:
Did you use a 17" fan to match the shroud?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OP here

Would be helpful to know if the OP is looking for original as 4ocious asked...

Allen
I would love a concourse correct original or reproduction..... However At this point I just want one that performs well.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
We have a 6 blade C9 Lat fan and a V8 metal shroud part# "C3DZ-8146-D". The part number is identical to the V6 shroud except for the "D" at the end.

1. Aside from the lower hose position, whats the differences?

The V8 shroud covers the blades about 80% or 90%. I'm told it is only supposed to be 50%.

2. Should we trim it?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts