Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting some vibration at speeds above 65 miles an hour. I don't think I have enough driveline angle. I downloaded the app from Tremec and tried to check it. It's not going well. I've done it three times using different areas and got three very different results.

The app calls for checking at the trans, the drive shaft and the differential. The problem is I can't seem to find good areas to check at the trans and differential.

The front u-joint is directly above the H-Pipe crossover. Can't get my phone in there. I checked at the top of the u-joint on the yoke, which seemed to work, but I'm not sure.

The rear u-joint has metal u-straps which makes the surface uneven. Can I use the bottom of the diff? It's flat, but I don't know if it's parallel to the yoke.

Has anyone checked driveline angle with my combination? If so, I would appreciate some suggestions.

1970 Mustang
351 Cleveland
TKO-600 trans
Factory 9 inch diff (non-nodular)

I've looked online and found nothing similar to my configuration. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I tried to use the same app and had similar issues. I am still working on my car and haven’t driven it yet, so I can’t report any results.

But, in reference to the trans, I believe they mentioned, and I used, the front crankshaft pulley to find the front angle. That seemed to work good.

The rear diff/yoke is a challenge. SOT shows measuring the angle across the studs for the center section as a good measuring point. Might be worth trying.

Rusty

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yeah, I'm reading the instructions again and, apparently, I can use anything that parallel to the crankshaft for th first number. The most consistent reading I'm getting now is 3.6. That's too much of an angle. I'll try using the crankshaft pulley and see what I get.

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you can, try to pick up an angle finder, I think harbor freight has a cheap digital or the big box store. Easy and accurate.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
I have the same problem. The only way to find a good surface that is exactly parallel (or perpendicular) to the pinion and to the tailshaft is to remove the drive shaft and then turn the pinion yoke straight up and down. Set your phone or angle finder in the bottom of the half circle cutouts for the u-joint caps and read the angle. Then take another slip yoke and insert it into the trans with the u-joint circles straight up and down. Then set your phone or angle finder across the circles and take a reading.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just thinking I'm going to have to remove the drive shaft. Will the fluid drain from the trans if I remove the yoke? I seem to remember it does unless I insert a plug.

And I'm looking at angle gauges online. They're really not very expensive. Using the phone is a hassle. It's constantly resetting or locking from touching the buttons on the sides. I keep getting texts and calls. I even got an Amber Alert while trying to take a measurement!

Thanks for the tips, guys.

·
Premium Member
12,047 Posts
A small amount of fluid usually runs out when the driveshaft is removed but not a lot.
If the transmission tailshaft sticks out beyond the seal you won't need another yoke. Just butt the angle finder against the end of the tailshaft.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don’t know if the below will help you out, but I’ve used these sites in the past and have referred others to them. They’re definitely good resources for measuring and setting pinion angles.

Roadkill Customs has an excellent article regarding driveshaft NVH with much tech and photos to help:

Wolfecraft has very good info regarding pinion angles:

How to measure for angles (and where to place measurement tools):

Spicer Calculator:

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, I think I got it. I found a machined surface on the trans and measured there. Then I measured the drive shaft and unbolted the rear u-joint to measure at the pinion. The result was 2.1 degrees. So, I need to add one degree of angle, correct?

To increase angle, do I raise the trans?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Since your trans is in line with the crank shaft, use the front of the crank pulley which is 90° off crank and trans center line. There are 2 nearly vertical bolt heads on the left side of the pinion support which you can get a level on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts