Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to a lady who owned my 65 A code fastback from 1983-2019 last night. She said that when she got the car in 83, that it had no power options, no a/c, and had the gold interior that's in it now (door tag says it was red interior and you can see someone painted much of it from red to gold). Basically, it was in 83 as it is now. Since I've had it, I've found a power steering bracket on the frame and last night confirmed it had the HCC-AW (16:1) power steering box. And it has the A/C short console and the two holes in the firewall for the hoses. I've also confirmed that the front drivers side apron and the radiator support are not original to the car, but they are not reproductions. They are from a T code fastback as the VIN is still stamped on the apron. The passengers side apron and the door tag VIN's both match as an A code fastback.

So, at a minimum, this car was wrecked at some point between 65 and 83, damaging the front and drivers side sheet metal. Also during this time, the A code engine was taken and replaced with a 1971 302. The power steering and a/c were also taken from the car. The sheet metal was repaired using a 65 T code fastback. I'm wondering if the manual steering and gold interior also came from the T code?

I'm thinking this car was wrecked and sat somewhere while parts were sold off of it until someone finally replaced the sheet metal and got it back on the road. I want to check for disc brakes and GT exhaust hangers soon. It's got dual exhaust and has since 83. I know I'm probably wrong, but there seems to be a slight chance that this car is a GT or at a minimum a highly optioned A-code.

·
Registered
949 Posts
In that timeframe you could do a lot of part exchanging without having issues with the license department. Now, just about everything has to be documented (no thanks to auto thieves).

·
Registered
998 Posts
As you already know, there are no official build records for 65-66 cars. An OEM door tag or factory buck tag will provide the most information if still intact. I too enjoy the research and discovery process when investigating a 65-66 Mustang. If your A code is possibly a GT, it would have the indent (66 style) in the dash above the steering column in addition to the dual exhaust reinforcements. It is my understanding that the steering box code is identical between GT and non GT cars if they came with factory power steering. If an apron was replaced, then more than likely the GT radiator support with the hole punches for fog light wiring would be replaced as well. If your car has standard interior wiring and the 5 gauge instrument cluster rather than the falcon style, its a pretty strong indiscretion that it was probably a factory GT A code. Best of luck with your research!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts