Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I just paid $7k for a rusted out 69 mach1 body lol
that's my favorite year, I'd like to get a 69 Cobra Jet some day. 69 verts with the right upgrades and good body aren't easy to come by. There's a guy here selling one, but doesn't sound too motivated since he hasn't answered my questions. What do you have planned for the car? Does it have the round clock on the passenger dash?

·
Registered
33,903 Posts
So, I'll toss in my $0.02 here....

About 25 years ago I began the search for a Mustang. I had owned a '65 San Jose K-code GT hardtop back in my late teens/early twenties and wanted another '65-66. Over the course of 3+ years I looked at about a dozen cars in differing states of [dis]repair, the vast majority of which were vastly misrepresented by the sellers until finally finding the '66 2+2 I currently own. When all said and done, the decision came down to a couple factors. First, the car was within a 4-hour drive so I was able to go look at it prior to purchase. Secondly, the price was within the range I was willing to spend. Lastly, although the car DID have some physical (body) defects, there was a lack of significant rust. It was a running & driving car, which I drove home with SWMBO following, just to be on the safe side and, except for some seeping valve cover gaskets the trip was uneventful.

So, my advice is.....
a. Take your time to consider your purchase and what works best for YOU.
b. Be realistic. If you're not a "jack of all trades" as far as cars go, know that you'll have to PAY somebody to do the things you can't.
c. Look before you buy. If you CAN'T, have somebody you trust implicitly to look FOR you.
d. Avoid rust like the plague that it is.
e. Don't let your emotions get the better of you. There were so many Mustangs made that plenty of them are still out there so if THIS one isn't "The One" there will be another. It may be 9 months down the road, but it'll be there.

(y)

·
Registered
675 Posts
that's my favorite year, I'd like to get a 69 Cobra Jet some day. 69 verts with the right upgrades and good body aren't easy to come by. There's a guy here selling one, but doesn't sound too motivated since he hasn't answered my questions. What do you have planned for the car? Does it have the round clock on the passenger dash?

i like that you think for $7k it comes with a dash ..... but i will be putting in that round clock :p

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
So, I'll toss in my $0.02 here....

About 25 years ago I began the search for a Mustang. I had owned a '65 San Jose K-code GT hardtop back in my late teens/early twenties and wanted another '65-66. Over the course of 3+ years I looked at about a dozen cars in differing states of [dis]repair, the vast majority of which were vastly misrepresented by the sellers until finally finding the '66 2+2 I currently own. When all said and done, the decision came down to a couple factors. First, the car was within a 4-hour drive so I was able to go look at it prior to purchase. Secondly, the price was within the range I was willing to spend. Lastly, although the car DID have some physical (body) defects, there was a lack of significant rust. It was a running & driving car, which I drove home with SWMBO following, just to be on the safe side and, except for some seeping valve cover gaskets the trip was uneventful.

So, my advice is.....
a. Take your time to consider your purchase and what works best for YOU.
b. Be realistic. If you're not a "jack of all trades" as far as cars go, know that you'll have to PAY somebody to do the things you can't.
c. Look before you buy. If you CAN'T, have somebody you trust implicitly to look FOR you.
d. Avoid rust like the plague that it is.
e. Don't let your emotions get the better of you. There were so many Mustangs made that plenty of them are still out there so if THIS one isn't "The One" there will be another. It may be 9 months down the road, but it'll be there.

(y)
You're right, I found this car a few months back and it's not the 69 with the work and paint I'm after. Though it's close, at about 70% of my requirements. I'll check it out in the next week or two since not far from me.

Also where do I get a list of Mustang clubs in my area? is there a list on this forum?

·
Registered
363 Posts
First of all, buy the best possible car you can afford. The more complete and the less you have to do to repair or update it, the less it'll cost you in the end; you'll be money ahead! Also, there are deals to be found, just keep your eyes open and be persistent. Following are recent sales and auction results so you can get a sense of what you can expect to get for your budget.

Ebay completed auctions:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
First of all, buy the best possible car you can afford. The more complete and the less you have to do to repair or update it, the less it'll cost you in the end; you'll be money ahead! Also, there are deals to be found, just keep your eyes open and be persistent. Following are recent sales and auction results so you can get a sense of what you can expect to get for your budget.

Ebay completed auctions:
Some good deals at BYT, but I've heard they tend to be hit or misses as the auction doesn't give enough time to to preview the car unless local.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I wouldn't pay 25k for it and then swap a V8 into it. That's just silly. I'd just pay the 25k for a decent V8 vert out of the gate if that was my budget. Possibly even less. Searchtempest is your friend. But it's all about what you want and what you are willing to do to it. Patience will be rewarded.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Just thought I'd poke the bear here:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Just thought I'd poke the bear here:
Lol, in times of distress I'll search for
Cougars and Vettes then quickly get back to senses

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Thoughts on this one? unfortunately in California and the cost to ship will need to go into the price consideration. I'd consider driving half way across the US, but cross country if just too long for me if it's not at a leisure pace.

·
Registered
33,903 Posts
Thoughts on this one? unfortunately in California and the cost to ship will need to go into the price consideration. I'd consider driving half way across the US, but cross country if just too long for me if it's not at a leisure pace.
I love how every 289 with an open element air cleaner instantly becomes a "High Performance". LOL. Otherwise, the car doesn't look bad to me, but I'd put it more in the realm of $18k....

41 - 55 of 55 Posts