Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car painted about 6 months ago. Its a modern dupont bc/cc paint job. THere are swirls and very fine scratches in it which comes from washing the car i know... is this just normal with clear coat? you can only see the scratches in the sunlight, i just want toknow if its normal and i havent waxed it since i gotr it painted, will waxing it remove the swirls and scratches??

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
You should wait at least 30 days, longer in cold weather, before waxing new paint. Wax has a very fine abrasive to it which will put swirl marks in the new paint which become permanent. Similarly, if you wash the car during the first 30 days you have to use a 100 percent cotton cloth or special wash mitt. A sponge or artificial fabrics, particularly acrylics, will scratch the paint. At this point, you probabl need to cut and buff out the new paint to remove the scratches. Wet sand with 1500 then 2000, then use a wool cutting pad and specialized compound, then a foam pad and yet another compound, then a different foam pad with polish. 3M and Meguaires are two companies that sell cut and polish systems, as does dupont.

From the far right field comes another observation. If not enough catalyst was mixed into the clear coat before application, it can remain soft for a very long time.

good luck.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I think that's natural for all CC finishes over time unless you absolutely keep it covered all the time..blow the dust off with an air compressor and never wipe anything on it and good luck at that.
Mine was pretty spotless when I picked it up and over the next 6 months i've noticed those swirls mostly at certian angles with the sunlight. I found that new McGuires TECH wax really works well. You might try a color matching wax, but those are usaully polish/wax combo's and that might not be what you want at this time being the polish has a micro grit in it.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
You need to find Doupont swirl mark remover, all paint has swirl marks in it the BC/CC has a little more and dark colors really show them. Use the swirl mark remover, and wax the car and the marks should go away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A trick I learned from the Ferrari Club of America is to always wash, dry, and wax your car using straight linear strokes, preferably front to back (aligned with the way air blows over it while driving). That way if you do happen to get any scratches they'll be confined to one direction, less noticeable when the sun is hitting the paint than the scratches in all directions that result from circular strokes.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Swirl removers are great. But it's the fix is temporary. Wash the car 5-10 times the swirls will be back.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Tom

·
Registered
933 Posts
The scratches could be from normal washing/drying but they could also be sanding scratches. Even when epoxy primers and BC/CC systems are used, they can continue to shrink for several months. This shrinkage can allow sanding scratches, as a result of body work and paint prep, to become visible under certain lighting conditions. I would take the car back to the painter to get their opinion. If they are sanding scratches, the area can be wet sanded/buffed to remove.

Scott

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
If your paint looks like the car in the autobodystore link, then you need to buff it out as they show you. Buffing isn't difficult, it just takes a little finesse. I'd try it on your daily beater or an extra panel you have around. A good variable speed buffer or sander is a must. The "polisher" sold by most parts stores are crap and can't do the job.

I haven't used the products they show, but I have used 3M products and the results are incredible. I have taken heavily scratched BC/CC back to a mirror finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts