Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hubcaps on my 66 Mustang are beginning to show there age. It looks like the finish over the chrome is starting to wear off. What is the best way to remove the old finish and then what do I use to respray to get back to the original look?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by OldIronDriver on 04/09/01 04:57 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lenny, if you can figure out what spray paint will duplicate chrome, I would like to hear about it. The closest I've ever been able to come is somewhere between "iron" and "gum wrapper."

Dan
Be a good dad to your kids and phone your mom twice a week...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On top of the chrome it looks like a dull sprayed finish and a dark grey finish. I tryed to rub it off with never-dull but that didn't work very well. It is on there good. any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
If I understand what you're asking, you want to repaint the black painted area on your hubcaps, right?
I'm one who usually wants to use old parts if it makes sense, but in this case, considering the time you'd spend masking your hubcaps for spraypaint I think you'd be better off buying a new repro set.
If you are dead-set to use them, and they are not all that bad, you could try touching them up using some spray paint that you've put into a paint pen. Eastwood sells them. Or simply touch up small scratches with a black indelible marker??
Good luck - Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I picked up a set of original 68 wheel covers for a 68 for about 20 bucks on ebay.

1968 Coupe, 6cyl Std, Bench Seat. Driven through 10 years of College.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts