Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Made some progress toward an end on my current project. Finished fabricating the grille and installed it.

Made from 1/2 inch honeycomb perforated steel on a 9/32 diagonal pattern. Stock is 1/16 in thick.

Frame and brackets are made from 22 gauge sheet steel. 100% welded together.

The grille will come back out to cut holes for a pair of 6.5 inch Hella driving lights. Lights will be mounted directly in grille.

Sluggo
http://home.comcast.net/~rataillon/images/grille003.jpg

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
:thumbup: Nice,it's going to look great when you are done.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Looks great, will it support the weight of the lights?

Can you ship mine to Dallas or do I need to come pick it up?

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fast68back said:
Looks great, will it support the weight of the lights?

Can you ship mine to Dallas or do I need to come pick it up?
Yes, That is why I used 22 gauge for the frame and 1/16 for the grille. There will also be (4) 1/2 inch wide bezels to surround the lights to finish the holes and add rigidity. Bezels will be welded one inside and one outside on each side of the grille.

You'll have to come get it, bring a junk 67 or 68 grille with you for a pattern, about 50 bux for materials and a bottle of stoli for the fabricator. ;) Will you be waiting on that part to be fabrcated sir? If so bring extra stoli and the girl from your avatar :p

Sluggo

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, Standard pattern. Bought 4x8 sheet from Mcnichols steel here in Houston. They have locations around the country. Google them, they will send a free catalog.
They wanted 240 bux to cut me a 42in x 9in piece, or I could get the whole sheet for 199 bux. Even I could figure out which of those choices was the best value.

Sluggo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts