Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent about 6 hours today rebuilding, then installing the upper control arms. Makes about 8 hours total. Heres how I did it.

1. Found some fatigue cracks in the spring perch bolt holes. Welded in 1/16" strap iron washers to the underside of the UCLs. They had to be shaped to fit first.
2. Had to dress out, "de-thread", the holes in the UCL's for the shaft bushings with the die grinder and remove some thread on the bushings so they would basically slide into the holes. Originally, the bushings kept cross threading into the UCL's and would not seat properly. It did make it easy to center the shafts too. I also cut the grease groves into the bottom side shaft threads like Mustang Steve recommended first. And pounded out the pressed in studs in the shaft so I could rotate it to center it. I then pounded them back in later.
3. Then, after installing and centering the shafts, I welded the bushings to the UCL's. I alternated sides so the metal wouldn't get too hot and ruin the o-ring seal. It got hot anyways, and upon visual inspection the seals seem intact. The hot grease that melted helped cool them I think.
4. I had to pound out the pressed in studs in the spring perches and install longer bolts because of the thicker UCL metal and the washers. The pressed in studs would have been too short.
5. After that I primed and painted the UCLs after cleaning them off with prep sol.
6. Finally, I bolted on the spring perches and ball joints and took the UCLs to the plant and installed them on the car along with the granada brakes. (When I removed the old UCL's I zapped the nuts off and all the shims fell on the floor in unison. Like an idiot, I didnt record their placement. So I used the same thickness for each mounting stud on each side. Alignment shop will have to deal with adjusting them.)

I then went to my brother's house to inspect his 65 stang suspension to verify I didn't install the spring perches backwards.

Tommorrow, I will install the front sway bar and the coil springs. I have the compressor rented for the day. That will basically finish the front suspension. More pics on the way then.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Sounds like you had a long day. UCA's are a bitch to rebuild, but at least you can say that you've done it. Glad to hear that you have only one more day on the front end. Are you using stock coils? Whenever I use the 620's its a breeze to install them, only have to compress 1" or less (just a thought). ( I like my Mustangs a bit lower.)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Dean. I'm using the stock ride height coils so they are a little longer. LMM refers to them as #620 stock height. I don't want to lower my car as the subframe connectors hang down a bit and I may run low profile 14" tires considering the low gear ratio rear end I have. So I need all the height I can get, being out here in 4WD country!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. Still have to do the rear suspension, and finish the front steering, brake lines, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,...........

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Uhhh, sorry to tell you, but your zerk fittings should be oriented 180* from the direction of the bolts, so you can easily access them. Right now, it looks like they are pointed towards the shock tower!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Step #2 66conv6. I thought that was an excellent idea. The grooves are in there./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thank you for the suggestion. It was something I would have not thought about.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your are correct! They are just threaded in loosely anyway. Just a matter of rotating them 180. I see the swelled zerks in your sig pic are pointing the right direction though. Another pump of grease in those and they will blow the protective grease cup!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts