Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished up the homemade ground effects project using my Dad's old icemaker lid. After fixing some mis-matches with fiberglass and constructing the rear wheel opening flarelets, a coat of etch primer, the project is now done...for the most part. There is still some finish touches to do, but the project is complete.

I'm happy with how the gf ties in the sidescoops, which was the main reason for installing them. Overall, I'm satisfied with the results and the project was not as difficult as I envisaged. Total cost: Approx $120 for materials, mainly glue. A substantial savings over the $400 kit from Mustangs Plus.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/4723490/60459599.jpg
View of Completed Ground Effects Prior To Primer

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/4723490/60459592.jpg
Closeup View Of Passenger Side. Note The Break In The GF Rail To Accomodate Fender Removal.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/4723490/60459585.jpg
Project Completed. View Of Mini Flarelet Behind Wheel Opening.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i too had doubts... all of which are put to rest, i think it looks clean, and tasteful. and yes, some huge meats are in order.

good job dude

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the kudos CV!:)

This was one project which I was really nervous about ruining the car, hehe. Yet again, I wanted to forge on. The mockup you see in the pic below almost scared me off. It is too much! You can see that the real gf is more subtle, yet provides the resto-wild effect I was striving for.

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/3513099/57237334.jpg
Cardboard Mockup Of Original Ground Effects Idea...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah guys, big meats with flairs are in order, but... geesh I'm already running 8" rims and 60's all round....yeah, I know...

I thought about flairs and may still do some with wider rims someday, but this will have to do it for now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Whoever stated it before in a previous thread of your's, you need to quit your job and go into metal fabrication. That is totally wicked!!! ::

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Dude suggested it. If I quit my day job I'll be a singer, country or rock...I can't make my mind up. You can pick up lots of chicks that way! Metal work is waaay too hazardous, I took another chunk of hide from my finger with the grinder.

Now Chip Foose, on the other hand, probably gets the chicks...And I'm a lot better looking than him! :p

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
those came out really nice. i think its pretty cool that you designed and fabricated something that hardly anybody has ever done before on our cars and were successfull at it the very first try. i like the size and the angles of your flat sheetmetal 'ground effects' rather than the beveled countoured angles of some of the other kits like the eleanor kits or the mustangsplus ones. i also really like how it joined with the wheelwells, as said it would look killer with some slightly larger wheel openings like from some of those mold on flares. the only thing id change is the height of the front suspension, maybe the rear too depending on what diameter tires will end up on it. I did a little photoshop mockup of your car with the front noticably lowered and the rear maybe a tad. here's what I came up with ..
http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/213000-213999/213657_160.gif
I kind of like the low front look but it could be lowered less or more or even the rear lowered more. i bet you already knew this and had plans to fix it.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Really nice results. It goes with the overall look of the car. I really enjoy reading about the clever projects which don't suck up a lot of money. I mean, how many of use could spend bucks like Rick Dobertin (sp?).

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the lowering job. I wish it was as easy as a photo chop. I put original ride height 620lb coils from LMountain Mustang and it sits too high. I need to chop the springs a bit or replace them with a one inch drop.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the support and encouragement guys. This was the first project I was really nervous about taking on because of the risk of ruining the car. I'm glad that didn't happen.

Next on the list is a front spoiler and lots of finish body work to prep for paint.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That really looks professional, and i like it better than the Mustangs Plus because the pieces at each end of the straights really tie in nicely, great look. Now ya just need to use yours as a mold and start making fiberglass copies for the rest us metalcraft challenged folks .. (ya might talk to whizco about this, seriously) ::

On the flares i have to disagree, rear flare maybe, but front flares always destroy that rakish body line and it just never looks right to me .. just my .02 .. anyway, keep up the good work, helps keep me inspired when i'm working on my little knighmare, lol ..

James

1 - 17 of 17 Posts