Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to carry a fire extinguisher in my trunk. I got one from Pep Boys but I noticed it said not to store above 120 degrees. I took a reading in my trunk yesterday and it was 145 degrees (New Orleans summer). Any suggestions??

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have one on the floor behind the front seat. It is alot easier and faster to grab when needed

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Why don't you want one in the interior? If your engine is on fire, you don't want to get out, open your trunk, and remove the extinguisher.

Steve

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'd look for another. Some people in my club told me about a show a few years ago, where one person had a Mustang (early model) with a black interior and all the windows up. It supposedly got hot enough inside the car with the extinguisher in the sun to pop the safety release. White stuff all over the interior. Said it was quite a mess /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

SprintCC

·
Registered
977 Posts
Alright... who's idea was it to mount it right next to biggest flamable container of your car anyway? I wouldn't want to be opening up my trunk up if the tank is on fire. I"M OUT OF THERE!!! Insurance, Insurance, Insurance. If I am driving it will be by my side. That is assurance.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
although... if the tank does catch on fire with the extinguisher right there, it could pop and actually do a little to help the situation (but probably far from anything significant)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
A few weeks ago I stopped on the freeway to help another motorist with an engine fire. I whipped out my fire extinguisher and emptied it out on the fire to no effect. It was a 2 1/2lb ABC Kiddie extinguisher from Costco.

Last week we had fire extinguisher training at work thru a local extinguisher shop. I bought a newly serviced 5lb extinguisher from him for $15. This one has an aluminum tank and valve, VS. the cheapie Costco extinguisher that had a plastic valve. One good hit to the plastic valve and it's toast. It was serviced as part of their routine exchange program, and he picked the best one he had. He also gave me a mounting bracket. When I told him I was going to keep it in the trunk he said it was a good spot.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the relpies. I have not been able to logon for a while. I checked the good quality refilible extinguishers at work, and they still say not to store above 120 degrees. I know the trunk is much hotter than that. I may have to find a place inside, as suggested by some of the members.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Contact your local fire extinguisher service shops for their recommendation. Maybe your fire dept. has some ideas.

Summitracing and Jegs both sell hard-plumbed Halon kits. They come with aluminum or steel tubing that you route where you want it, a few in the engine compartment, a few at the driver. There is a push/pull valve which is driver activated. Not sure where the tank is supposed to mount. Maybe Summit/Jegs can fax you a copy of the installation instructions. The manufacturer is "SSI Firebottle". Maybe contact them as well.

Get back to us with your findings!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts