Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing some Open Track events in the next couple or months or so, and one of the requirements is to have a 2.5 lb Fire extinguisher with metal mounting bracket. The extinguisher has to be within drivers reach of the car. I was wondering if anyone had any good spot to mount this bad boy without having to drill into the frame of the car?

I was thinking somehow mounting it to the passenger seat, or A Piller (haven't had time to check if thats a secure spot). When i get a roll cage in the future, it will be mounted on that, but im a couple years away from that

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have my fire suppression system mounted behind the driver's seat, but I have a hand held fire extinguisher mounted on the tunnel beside the driver's seat. That way, if I have a small fire, I can put it out with the extinguisher without setting off the halon system.

DO NOT mount anything in the footwell under your legs or near your feet.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does mounting these require drilling into the body of the car? I was hoping to find one that maybe bolts onto existing bolts or something that clamps down. If so, i don't know how comfortable i would be with doing that : /

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I have mine bolted thru the tunnel. If you are going to track the car, plan for the worst case scenario (shiny side down). You sure don't want that heavy item bonking your body!

·
Registered
572 Posts
Does mounting these require drilling into the body of the car? I was hoping to find one that maybe bolts onto existing bolts or something that clamps down. If so, i don't know how comfortable i would be with doing that : /
That's the nice thing about the Vetteworks brackets is they bolt to where the seat rails attach to the floor. While they don't list early Mustang application, just looking at the product, seems anyone with amateur fabrication skills, a hacksaw, vice, pliers and welder could fabricate such a bracket from scratch for just a couple of bucks. Most 2.5lb extinguishers come with a basic wall bracket. All you need is another thin metal bracket to connect that to the seat rail bolts.

Oh, and by the way, get a Halon or Halotron unit so if in case you ever do need it, you won't have a bigger mess to clean up the dry chemical than from the fire.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Mine is mounted on the flat bottom part of the dash, passenger side.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had mine bolted on the tunnel as well, however, everytime I went to throw my helmet in the back, I'd always knock into it. I definitely understand the ease of access of having it located there, but it kept getting in the way.

I relocated it below the door, on the left hand side. Works beautifully.

I have to laugh when I see these guys post their Eleanor mods on eBay and they have the fire extinguisher placed in the trunk area next to the amplifiers. What good is that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
On my 67, I mounted the extinguisher bracker on the flat metal bar on the bottom of the dash on the passenger side. There are also brackets that bolt down under the front of the seat rails/sliders.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think it would be cool if you did something like where you could open the passenger seat (like a lid of a cooler) and the fire extinguisher is in there.. but that would take some unusual modification.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just who is this stevensmtih15 idiot? So far all I read is LSD based comments. I mounted my 2 1/2 lb Halon on the tunnel like so many others and for good reason. It is easily reached from either side and is located in a spot that does not get in the way of your arms when driving. It may have been a pain to mount but I through bolted mine so as not to depend on sheetmetal screws. Before drilling any holes, determine the BEST possible location for you and then have at it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts