Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 69 coupe with a 302 auto. While driving around town and on the hwy I get a lot of hot air that blows in to the car. I have done some asking around and I have been told to replace my fire wall. Having never done this before what kind of time frame should I allow for this (rough est.) and do I really have to take the eng out of the car to do it? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wow are you sure about this? First of all fill out you profile as there are a few VMF’ers in your area that might can help you check it out. Now on to your problem, did you check to see if the vents are closed? If so check to see if it might be the floor pans and not the fire wall. You need to be sure because putting in another firewall is not an easy task and will be costly. It will require the engine and transmission to come out, along with most of the wiring and other under dash components. Firewalls rusting out is not common, also check to see if it might be the cowl vents rusted out. You can do this by pouring water in the cowl and looking inside the car under the dash to see if water is leaking in. A cowl replacement would be easier to do, but still quite a bit of work. I hope it will be an easy fix but be prepared for the worse as these cars are prone to rust. Check it out and keep us posted.
Troy
Just remembered, do a search for Lemondrop as he is doing this now.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Do you have a good weatherstrip between the rear of the hood and the cowl (not sure of the correct name)? If you have an old one or are missing this piece, the hot air from the engine will escape out the rear of your hood and enter you cowl. The 69 and 70s get their fresh air thru the cowl and it will come out at you feet. Check this before anything.

Mike

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
Id say you have a seal/ cowl rust problem . If you had firewall issues you would know it :)
The firewall should not let air come in unless it is rotted through under the hood (where it can be seen) .
Id see if some local Mustang alumni might be able to help you out .
Not long ago there was a guy on this forum that was getting fumes and hot air coming in the car and by posting here he figured out his cowl to hood seal was missing . Replaced it and the problem was fixed .
You could simply have a bad seal around your steering columb , hardly need a complete firewall to fix that .
The Firewall about requires removal of the cowl to get to it . Torque boxes would need to be in top shape or replaced before cutting , unless you have a frame jig to hold it all in place .
It's not a easy job but Im doing it .
Will I do it again ? nope :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts