Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting together the wiring and need to get a new firewall insulator as the old one was thrown out. I have the opportunity to buy an ACC one for almost half price, but it will still be around $130. Is it worth the extra money or can i just get a cheap $45 one. I have heard pretty bad things about almost all of them, not sure to the quality of the ACC one.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I did a cheap one but I also used Reflectix from Home depot right on the firewall first and dorn the trans tunnel before putting the cheap pad on. Helps reject a lot of the heat and this is a Florida car. Not original but I wasn't worried about that.

·
Registered
36,468 Posts
Even a so-so moulded pad would be superior to any flat pad. A compromise would be what I had to do on my "other" car. I dampened the die-cut cardboard, and when it softened, I gently moulded it to conform. Not as good as an OEM moulded pad, but far better than flat.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Would it work to do only the stick on insulation and not use a firewall pad?
Do you then mount the fuse box over the insulation?
Going to do this before long myself.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I just installed one in my 66 from NPD. I thought it fit very well and was impressed. It was $70. Has more of a rubbery type of face with insulation underneath. I had to modify it some for a few of my custom mod but it would have fit stock as-is
01610-1D
FIREWALL INSULATION PAD REPRO MOLDED FOR A CORRECT

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good information, I think that for the extra $30 I'll get the good one. I had considered just using like a dynamat type of insulation but Id rather have it look and fit better for a few extra bucks. Im not going for a completely OEM but I would like it to look as good as I can.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have the better one on my '65 and it looked and fit well. I now regret not adding an additional amount of heath shield or dynamat like product as well. Its surprising how much noise and heat are transmitted through the firewall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts