Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as i have been doing my interior, I have been adding the insulation as i go along for heat and sound deadening. First i covered the floor and doors in fat mat, then added mass back carpet. I was happy with the outcome but still not quite what i thought i was going to get. I thought maybe i should of done dynomat or spent more money. So i started doing a little more here and there. Did the package tray, finally stopped rattling, did the rear quarters, kick panels, gas tank. Got to the point where i figured that the last thing was probably the headliner and add insulation to that after i go wiht the MTF headliner. But before i do that let me try the firewall piece. I ordered the molded one from CJP and I am really impressed. Not as hot in the car, not as much of a gas smell (cant completely get rid of it until EFI), but the sound is alot less. Ofcourse every piece helps but this was the one piece that i noticed a difference besides the massback. Still have 2 holes to plug in the firwall but i wanted to share my experience.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm planning on using Lizard Skin sound deadener and then the ceramic spray insulation. I plan on doing the entire interior of the car. I'll tape off the small holes in the firewall (from the engine side) and figure the Lizard skin will cover up the ones I don't wind up putting screws in.

I wonder if I'll also need the firewall insulation on top of the Lizard Skin to keep engine bay heat out. If I ever get the car on the road, I'll probably use a heat probe to see if anything is getting through.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads-up.

I'm planning on using Lizard Skin sound deadener and then the ceramic spray insulation. I plan on doing the entire interior of the car. I'll tape off the small holes in the firewall (from the engine side) and figure the Lizard skin will cover up the ones I don't wind up putting screws in.

I wonder if I'll also need the firewall insulation on top of the Lizard Skin to keep engine bay heat out. If I ever get the car on the road, I'll probably use a heat probe to see if anything is getting through.
Yeah i wish i would of gone the lizard skin route. Oh well, next build.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Which one did you order from CJ? Was there anything else already on the Firewall?

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which one did you order from CJ? Was there anything else already on the Firewall?
I ordered the molded one and the plugs that go in the firewall that mine was missing like for heater hoses and such. I also installed a new steering column seal because mine was bad. I didnt put anything else on the firewall

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
So you just used the stock firewall pad? If you didn't have that before... no wonder you were hot!! :pirate:

I put a little extra padding in the footwells leading up to the firewall to cover the spots that the carpet/firewall pad didn't quite cover well. After plugging up holes in the firewall my feet were suddenly a lot less toasty.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
That's one thing I wish I had had done when the interior was redone a couple years ago. Maybe in a few years when I run out of other things to tweak, I pull everything out and insulate and put it all back.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Nice, glad to hear the results. That makes my happy, thank you. I just picked up my molded firewall pad, its sitting in my garage relaxing. Sucked having to unplug all the wiring, remove pedal brace, remove the column, and other stuff to prep for the new pad. Luckily my heater box isn't in place yet. I too had the original beat-up pad, and it got hotter than blazes during the summer. Looking forward to cool feet. Let us know on the MTF headliner, got that also, trying to get some ideas for insulation and adding a roof courtesy light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts