Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am continuing to think well ahead of where I am currently at in my restoration process. I am still stripping paint and rust...and hopefully have order most of the sheet metal I am going to need. I still need to get up under the dash and assess the entire cowl, but figured I would need to replace it, so I ordered the two piece cowl as well.

Here's my question, on the off chance I only need to replace the firewall, is it possible to just replace that, while leaving the cowl in place? If so, what would be the procedure? Just drill through the front cowl spot welds from the top, put the firewall in and plug weld the holes from the top. I assume those spot welds go through all three panels...upper cowl, lower cowl and firewall.

This might be a dumb question and hopefully the process will reveal itself as I get further into the teardown, but thought I would ask while I continue to think and plan.

·
Registered
35,842 Posts
Well, there might be a rubber mallet involved, but I don't see why not.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, there might be a rubber mallet involved, but I don't see why not.
😊. I know I simplified the whole procedure, but I will be replace the full floor assembly, front frame rails, at least a portion of the rearward fender aprons and a portion of lower cowl/kick panel.

My thinking/hope is that I could drill straight through all three panels straight from the top, rather than cutting out the spot welds in layers.

I imagine there will be numerous hammers, plasma cutter, saws, and 4 letter words involved

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
I would avoid drilling the cowl welds from the top. I would use a cut off wheel and simple grind the top of the welds or in this case from the underside of the cowl and peel it from there. Its actually a very fast way to remove a panel from another one and I would even go as far as saying its quicker and cleaner than trying to drill out all those welds.

·
Premium Member
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, RTM. I was afraid that might be the best way to go due to the fact I am currently a fairly novice welder and will require welding from below. But I do think you are probably right and will try to attack from that angle.

Reactions: RTM

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Thanks, RTM. I was afraid that might be the best way to go due to the fact I am currently a fairly novice welder and will require welding from below. But I do think you are probably right and will try to attack from that angle.
It will be far less work and cleaner when done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts