Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend as a sealant on the firewall electrical penetrations.
I have grommets installed but there is still daylight and I'd like to seal them up either from inside under the dash or from the outside.
The wiring harnesses are all aftermarket (AAW, Holly EFI and Old Air Products AC)

·
Registered
770 Posts
3M strip caulk

Reactions: erials and rhutt

·
Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Or some 3M Bedding and Glazing Compound for the OE look and feel haha

·
Registered
846 Posts
Post a couple of pictures as it will make clear what you need to seal. If you have some form of wire loom or electrical tape is around the individual wires, the suggestions above will work fine. Otherwise you have an opportunity for moisture to enter between wires. To more effectively seal off the pass through is such a case, maybe some black silicone gasket maker squeezed between the wires from behind the dash would help in blocking moisture from finding its way in. The standard silicone gasket maker can be removed down the road should you ever need to remove the wiring.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I seal off all those types of areas with strip caulk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have some form of wire loom or electrical tape is around the individual wires, the suggestions above will work fine. Otherwise you have an opportunity for moisture to enter between wires. To more effectively seal off the pass through is such a case, maybe some black silicone gasket maker squeezed between the wires from behind the dash would help in blocking moisture from finding its way in. The standard silicone gasket maker can be removed down the road should you ever need to remove the wiring.
I have both taped looms (sometimes more than one per grommet) and individual wires.
I thing the strip caulk will work on the taped pass through's and I like the idea of black silicone gasket maker for the pass through with individual wires or multi taped looms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts