Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to pull the plug that connects the wiring dash harness to the firewall engine gauge harness? I am having a difficult time working on rewiring that plug where it is. I tried to push on it from the edges from the engine bay but it seems to be in there fairly good and i don't want to damage it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I presume that you are talking about the underdash side of the plug.

The way it works is there is a metal bezel that goes around the rubber plug. The plug has a groove that the bezel will rest in. Your task is to get the bezel out of the groove while pushing the plug in from the engine bay. Use something like a putty knife or bare utility knife blade. Work around all four sides of the plug.

I actually was only moderately sucessful, bending the metal bezel. Fortunately, they are available aftermarket.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Firewall electrical connectors (underdash harness) have a retainer ring to hold them to the firewall. Go under hood and look at the sides of the cutout for the plug. You will see little metal tabs on the sides of the plug. Use a small screwdriver to push the tab into the connector and around the firewall sheet metal. Do the same for the next one you see (same side). When you get one side free, you can generally move the plug enough such the other side will clear the firewall, if not do the same on the opposite side of the connector. When all tabs are released the connector will drop into the interior and after peeling it back you can work on it more effectively. Be sure to straighten the tabs with needlenose so they lock back in when you push the connector back through the firewall.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts