Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
59 years old and my first auto accident this afternoon. I was driving my 03 Civic.

I was approaching the intersection of US 441 and GA 57. There is a traffic light. Its in the middle of nowhere. 4 lane divided road.

I crested a hill and started downhill toward the intersection, I had a green light and there was quite a bit of traffic so I lifted my foot off the gas.

All of a sudden a full size truck waiting to turn left, turned and crossed right in front of me.

I hit the brakes and tried to go left around him. I hit him, my right front on his right rear wheel. I was doing 40-ish, he was doing 15-ish.

The Civic is a total, maybe his truck as well. The impact tore the axle off the left springs.

As luck would have it a State Trooper was in the medium and saw the accident. The Trooper told me I did everything I could to avoid him.

I hurt like hell, tomorrow will be worse. Seatbelt rash and a blow to the chest from the airbag. Good thing I did the recall. It knocked the wind out of me and it was 2-3 min before I could focus, but Im ok.

Other driver was an older guy, unhurt, came over to check on me. My Civic is gray, same color as the road, for that reason I had my lights on. The other driver just didnt see me.

Could have been worse, if I was in the right lane I most likely would have T-boned him instead of a glancing blow. Had I sideswiped him I would have ended up in the other lanes of traffic and may have been t-boned.

Im upset that it happened, but Im thankful neither one of us was injured.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Glad your OK-ish! My late father told me to never buy a car asphalt gray or grass green. They are just accidents and happen because we are humans.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
@bmcgc sorry that happened to you, glad you will be okay, and thankful you weren't driving your Mustang when it happened.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt even think about the same accident in the Mustang until this morning.

Air bags, anti lock brakes, shoulder belts and crumple zones turn a serious accident into a minor accident.

Im thankful that it wasnt any worse than it was.

I hurt, not so much sitting still, moving is a challenge.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Glad you're OK, make sure you go see a Doc if something doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Gray cars are hard to see sometimes, but a little black and chrome on it looks good and makes it stand out. Lucky for all you were not on a motorcycle. You are ok, good karma, good things happen to good people. Congrats on surviving a potential injury or death.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I didnt even think about the same accident in the Mustang until this morning.

Air bags, anti lock brakes, shoulder belts and crumple zones turn a serious accident into a minor accident.

Im thankful that it wasnt any worse than it was.

I hurt, not so much sitting still, moving is a challenge.
I am seeing a chiropractor twice a week right now for pain in my back between the shoulder blade and spine that started creeping over my shoulder, and I suddenly went from feeling half my age to feeling TWICE my age..turns out I have a VERY noticeable misalignment in my spine from an injury to the facet joints, likely caused by a car crash in 1995. That's the only major trauma I've had in my life and I WISH I had looked at it back then. I highly recommend you GET CHECKED OUT and leave the long term injury claim open in case you find something later.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
96 hours post accident and I was able to put socks on today. Im on the mend!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts