Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
59 years old and my first auto accident this afternoon. I was driving my 03 Civic.

I was approaching the intersection of US 441 and GA 57. There is a traffic light. Its in the middle of nowhere. 4 lane divided road.

I crested a hill and started downhill toward the intersection, I had a green light and there was quite a bit of traffic so I lifted my foot off the gas.

All of a sudden a full size truck waiting to turn left, turned and crossed right in front of me.

I hit the brakes and tried to go left around him. I hit him, my right front on his right rear wheel. I was doing 40-ish, he was doing 15-ish.

The Civic is a total, maybe his truck as well. The impact tore the axle off the left springs.

As luck would have it a State Trooper was in the medium and saw the accident. The Trooper told me I did everything I could to avoid him.

I hurt like hell, tomorrow will be worse. Seatbelt rash and a blow to the chest from the airbag. Good thing I did the recall. It knocked the wind out of me and it was 2-3 min before I could focus, but Im ok.

Other driver was an older guy, unhurt, came over to check on me. My Civic is gray, same color as the road, for that reason I had my lights on. The other driver just didnt see me.

Could have been worse, if I was in the right lane I most likely would have T-boned him instead of a glancing blow. Had I sideswiped him I would have ended up in the other lanes of traffic and may have been t-boned.

Im upset that it happened, but Im thankful neither one of us was injured.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Glad your OK-ish! My late father told me to never buy a car asphalt gray or grass green. They are just accidents and happen because we are humans.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
@bmcgc sorry that happened to you, glad you will be okay, and thankful you weren't driving your Mustang when it happened.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didnt even think about the same accident in the Mustang until this morning.

Air bags, anti lock brakes, shoulder belts and crumple zones turn a serious accident into a minor accident.

Im thankful that it wasnt any worse than it was.

I hurt, not so much sitting still, moving is a challenge.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Glad you're OK, make sure you go see a Doc if something doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Gray cars are hard to see sometimes, but a little black and chrome on it looks good and makes it stand out. Lucky for all you were not on a motorcycle. You are ok, good karma, good things happen to good people. Congrats on surviving a potential injury or death.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I didnt even think about the same accident in the Mustang until this morning.

Air bags, anti lock brakes, shoulder belts and crumple zones turn a serious accident into a minor accident.

Im thankful that it wasnt any worse than it was.

I hurt, not so much sitting still, moving is a challenge.
I am seeing a chiropractor twice a week right now for pain in my back between the shoulder blade and spine that started creeping over my shoulder, and I suddenly went from feeling half my age to feeling TWICE my age..turns out I have a VERY noticeable misalignment in my spine from an injury to the facet joints, likely caused by a car crash in 1995. That's the only major trauma I've had in my life and I WISH I had looked at it back then. I highly recommend you GET CHECKED OUT and leave the long term injury claim open in case you find something later.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
96 hours post accident and I was able to put socks on today. Im on the mend!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I contacted the other drivers insurance yesterday. It seems the other driver had not informed them of the accident.

They moved pretty fast. Had my car towed to their lot, made me an offer of $750 for pain and suffering and to pay my medical bills for up to 30 days post accident and requested I give them access to all my medical records.

No thank you.

The adjuster will make me an offer on the car, Im hoping for $2000, its an 03 Civic with 308,000 miles, but runs like a top. Thats what I figure it will cost me to replace it with a similar car.

Im not looking to make money here. I want to be fair and be treated fairly.

I dont care about their $750 or any amount. My concern is my health. Im felling better every day and do not anticipate any long term or future problems but only 8 days post accident, Im not ready to sign away their liability.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rode bikes 44 years and hung it up last year. Its just to dangerous. My wife also rides and it worries me to no end when she is out on the road. She can handle a touring bike, no problem, but she doesnt have a fast reaction time and is unable to read what is going on ahead of her.

Besides, one expensive hobby is enough.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,536 Posts
Another +1 on the chiropractor - they are a serious help in getting you back on the mend faster and with better long-term effects! All kinds of bones and muscles and whatever get knocked out of alignment when you get in a wreck. You'd think that they'd kind of just put themselves back, but I guess inflammation keeps them from doing so. A few visits to a chiropractor will get everything back in alignment and smooth out bunched-up muscles, which will help you feel better faster and prevent long-term damage.

When I got in that major wreck with Jane, I ended up with some minor whiplash, but the chiropractor sorted me out with a couple of visits. All good to go now.

Sorry about your wreck but glad that you ended up ok. Take care of yourself and definitely don't sign away your rights!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts