Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my '66 out on the road after nine months of restoration, only to have it quit on me. Sob! I was running down the road and it just cut out, then restarted and ran for a couple of minutes, then same thing. The running intervals got shorter and shorter between cutting out spurts until finally it just flat died on me at a light. I tried for about 30 minutes to restart and it wouldn't. Thought maybe vaporlock since there was no fuel in the line as evidenced by the glass inline fuel filter, but when I took the air cleaner off and manually opened the throttle, fuel squirted into the carb. After sitting for about one hour it restarted and then ran again, this time for a longer period but then died again. This morning it started fine and ran. Now what?

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible
1,754 Posts
Fuel pump... I had an electric fuel pump that did the same thing.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me!!!
66 200 3-spd Coupe - emberglo, daily driver
65 289 4-spd Conv - Rangoon Red (what else)
66 Shelby - Red and Ready to be Restored

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hi,
Had the same problem. If you take off the line after the fuel pump and no gas. It could be the pump is going. Else sending unit problem with too much rust in tank. Even if you had it lined. Already had it towed.. That not a great start I know.
Best 150.00 dollars spent to replace now able to drive without worry.. New tank and sending unit.
Good Luck..

1969 Coupe
1965 Fastback (Project)

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Any other fuel filters in the system? Could be a bad fuel pump, even if it was a rebuilt...or a clogged pickup screen in the fuel tank....

Anything here ring a bell?

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my 67. It was a clogged screen on the fuel pickup in the tank. The best bet is to take the pickup unit off the empty tank and clean or completely remove the screen. Your problem also sounds a bit like a bad coil. As it heats up it loses fire. As it cools down it begins to fire again. My bet would be that the pickup screen is varnished over from being stored.

Food for thought: Just think, If your weren't where you are you would be somewhere else.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
The rust problems can be very bad and intermittant. Until I replaced the fuel tank in the 66 coupe I never left home without at least two extra fuel filters. Once the rust actually plugged the fuel line! I put the air hose at the tank and tried to blow it through to the fuel pump. Man, it took 120 PSI to clear that sucker! It was solid!

Just to be certain I also blew air in the tank to clear the strainer. I discovered later when I removed the tank that I had blown the strainer sock off!!!

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

1 - 7 of 7 Posts