Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

First of all I would like to thank you all for the help you gave me and my father during the restoration of our mustang. Last weekend we finally were able to drive the first meters with it!

As seen in the video there's quite a bit of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, this also happens at idle. Now I know that it should be oil but since our engine is new and has not ran any miles yet I was wondering whether this has to do with breaking in the seals and gaskets, should we make changes to the timings or should we really check and replace the gaskets?

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Steven, you really didn't give us much to go on here. What engine does the car have ? You say the engine is new, did you do a break-in on the camshaft ? What else has been done to the engine ? Who did it ? and where are we looking at you ? doesn't look like US of A or Canada............LSG

·
Registered
65 Mustang GT
105 Posts
Blue is always oil. When you say new engine, is the whole thing new including heads? My first thought is valve stem seals are bad but that's a pretty big guess with no information over the internet.

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
Looks nice.

As with the others, describe New Engine,.......

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I had an engine I rebuilt behave just like that. I only replaced the gaskets, bearings, etc. It turned out to be the valve guides in the heads. I replaced the heads and it stopped.

david

·
Vendor
3,769 Posts
It would help to know what type of engine is in the car.. FE's are bad about sucking oil into the intake if you don't have all your machine-work-math done correctly between the heads and intake, or if you haven't re-torqued after several heat cycles..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the confusion, we did indeed import it from the US of A but the problem here is that the previous owner has not provided us with many details. He told us that he bought it off a tuning garage which claims that it makes 600hp. All that we know is that it has an original 351W block with new aluminium heads (trick flow), we haven't had it apart neither do we know whether it has been bored or stroked.

We're trying to get more info from the seller as we speak..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steven, you really didn't give us much to go on here. What engine does the car have ? You say the engine is new, did you do a break-in on the camshaft ? What else has been done to the engine ? Who did it ? and where are we looking at you ? doesn't look like US of A or Canada............LSG
You are correct, we're from the Netherlands :).

And no we did not break-in anything. We have had the engine running idle for a few hours total at max now.. This was the first actual drive.
The seller claimed the engine has not ran any miles yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
600 HP,......?!
Don't ask me, we don't believe so either. The sellers goal was to make it a dragracer, it also uses a Holley 4781C which is waaay overkill for a 351cui block afaik... it has everything removed from the block, no water pump, fuel pump or anything. No clue if it's even close to 600hp. Our guess would be more towards 400, if it's even that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't ask me, we don't believe so either. The sellers goal was to make it a dragracer, it also uses a Holley 4781C which is waaay overkill for a 351cui block afaik... it has everything removed from the block, no water pump, fuel pump or anything. No clue if it's even close to 600hp. Our guess would be more towards 400, if it's even that.
(By removed I mean everything is running electric now)

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Steven, great looking classic! When you first start the engine does it smoke immediately? Does the smoking fade away in a few seconds or minutes? From your video, it’s hard to get a read on the sound or what’s going on. We will need a longer video to try to help you. I understand that the PO didn’t give you many/any details, but do you know if the cam is roller or flat tappet? Did y’all put a water pump and all other accessories on before firing her up? More info is needed for us to help troubleshoot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Steven, great looking classic! When you first start the engine does it smoke immediately? Does the smoking fade away in a few seconds or minutes? From your video, it’s hard to get a read on the sound or what’s going on. We will need a longer video to try to help you. I understand that the PO didn’t give you many/any details, but do you know if the cam is roller or flat tappet? Did y’all put a water pump and all other accessories on before firing her up? More info is needed for us to help troubleshoot.
Hi there, thanks for your reply. The smoke remains even after running warm for about 15 minutes. I might add a video with extra detail to sound for you, we do not know anything about the cam..

And yes we do put all the accessories on before firing her up. Will post the video in a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
393 Posts
Hey Steven, so I think we have established that you have a 351 engine? Is it a Cleveland or a Windsor? Do you have any pictures or a video showing us the car starting and running from an under the hood vantage point? We would love to help , but we are getting very limited information that would be necessary for troubleshooting. Info, Videos or pictures please!

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
OP (Steven) did say "orininal 351W block".
My immediate concern is, if it's a fresh rebuild, letting it idle for an hour or two is not how the engine should be broken in. First 20 minutes should be 1800-2000 RPM. You have to get the oil splashing around in there to lube everything up.
Another question is: how long was the gas sitting in the tank prior to initial start-up?
I had a "blue smoke" issue a number of years ago. One bottle of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer solved the problem. The blue smoke was a fuel problem, not an engine problem.
More info needed on the engine though.

Reactions: Israel

·
Super Moderator
9,561 Posts
Yes, a prolonged, low idle break in was my immediate concern.

·
Registered
35,272 Posts
I'm wondering if your PCV valve is sucking oil from inside the valve cover due to poor baffling. Remove the hose at the carburetor and check for the presence of oil...it should be dry.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey Steven, so I think we have established that you have a 351 engine? Is it a Cleveland or a Windsor? Do you have any pictures or a video showing us the car starting and running from an under the hood vantage point? We would love to help , but we are getting very limited information that would be necessary for troubleshooting. Info, Videos or pictures please!
Hi there, I dug into my archive to find a proper videos according to your requirements. I found some:

Please don't mind the music in the last video and skip to 1:10 for the real music ;). The reason the engine started idling so high was because the gas paddle was stuck, something which is now fixed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts