Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OP (Steven) did say "orininal 351W block".
My immediate concern is, if it's a fresh rebuild, letting it idle for an hour or two is not how the engine should be broken in. First 20 minutes should be 1800-2000 RPM. You have to get the oil splashing around in there to lube everything up.
Another question is: how long was the gas sitting in the tank prior to initial start-up?
I had a "blue smoke" issue a number of years ago. One bottle of Sta-Bil fuel stabilizer solved the problem. The blue smoke was a fuel problem, not an engine problem.
More info needed on the engine though.
The fuel that we're currently using is fresh from the pump, bought the same day we drove the car.
We are aware that we need to "drive" the car in order to break in the engine, but before we can do that we have to make it road-legal first.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Steven- I will be in Soesterberg in September. Where are you? If nearby, I would be willing to look at the car and give any advice I might have...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Steven- I will be in Soesterberg in September. Where are you? If nearby, I would be willing to look at the car and give any advice I might have...
Hi Daisy, we're living in Apeldoorn which is about 40 minutes away from Soesterberg, feel free to come by if you're around. We do hope it is resolved by then though :)

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
If it’s a roller cam throw the stuff about cam break in out the window because it doesn’t matter. A wiped cam lobe in itself won’t make anything smoke either. It would have to completely destroy the rings with the debris caused and I don’t think it would smoke that bad, this soon.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hey Steven, so I think we have established that you have a 351 engine? Is it a Cleveland or a Windsor? Do you have any pictures or a video showing us the car starting and running from an under the hood vantage point? We would love to help , but we are getting very limited information that would be necessary for troubleshooting. Info, Videos or pictures please!
Actually I have another video from the day we drove it with proper sound I think:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would run a compression test on it. It will give you a good general idea about the engine condition. If any readings are significantly low, I would suspect the rings. If the readings are good and all cylinders are relatively equal. I would suspect valve seals.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
There is a specific process for break in of cam. It does not involve driving it around. It is something you do immediately upon first fire up of motor. Here is a link to a video explaining it. The guy is a dork, but you will get the idea.
As noted above, if you have a roller cam, this does not apply.....IF.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts