Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my '69 for its first drive in over 9 years today. :pirate: There are still parts to put back on it, but it is together enough to finally drive. I went around the block a few times, then picked up the kids and took them around as well. They have never ridden in this car as it has been apart their entire lives. Boy was that fun!

The clutch is a bit shorter throw than I would like, every time I let it out I tore a bit of rubber off. :burnout: I also am going to have to roll the front fender edges as the tires rub a bit over bumps when turning. But, overall a successful first drive! WooHoo! :jump:

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Awesome!! I can relate! Last year I finally got mine out after 19 years!! Talk about exhilarating! But you ave to admit (at least it was true for me) a part of you had to be saying " WTF am I doing right now?? I don't remember this thing driving like this at all!!" LOL!! Good luck man, the fun is just starting. Go slow for awhile!!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Sweet! Last summer put about 150 on my car. First time on the road since 1989 or so. My signature pic is driving her back to the garage on the first full day of driving, with the sun setting. Just looks like a regular, blurry picture to most. To me, it was the fruit of a lot of labor. :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I took my '69 for its first drive in over 9 years today. :pirate: There are still parts to put back on it, but it is together enough to finally drive. I went around the block a few times, then picked up the kids and took them around as well. They have never ridden in this car as it has been apart their entire lives. Boy was that fun!

The clutch is a bit shorter throw than I would like, every time I let it out I tore a bit of rubber off. :burnout: I also am going to have to roll the front fender edges as the tires rub a bit over bumps when turning. But, overall a successful first drive! WooHoo! :jump:
I thought you were joking when you said I was getting mine back together faster than yours! It is a great feeling - congratulations!

A word of caution - don't get discouraged at all the little bugs that happen during your shakedown... it was very disappointing for me since it seemed like I was fixing bad parts more than making progress for a while. Now I try to drive my car a little each week while I am finishing the interior and minor exterior details - it really helps with the motivation.

Perhaps we can get our two (basically) torch red 69 sportsroofs together some time!

Good luck,
-Rory

·
Registered
117 Posts
What an awesome feeling! I remember how I felt the when my Dad and I took our first drive in his car. You guys are providing the motivation for me to put down the remote and get that car back on the road. My last drive was upwards of... about ten years ago. I'm new here, this is my first post, and my current project is reinforcing the shock towers. You all are my numero uno information resource and for that I thank you!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Ditto on the thanks for all the helpful information. Mine is still in body/paint, but during the tear down anytime I got stuck on something (like figuring out how to get the headlight switch out of the dashboard... who would have thought there was a "secret button"), all I had to do was search here for an instant answer.

Enjoy being on the road- cars were meant to be driven!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So many questions have been answered here on VMF that it has made my project soooo much easier. Things I never would have figured out--like installing a factory tach cluster without buying a new wiring harness--the links came from you guys. This is a great resource to us all.

Rory--absolutely, we are going to have to get the twins together. I used to say that having kids slowed me down on this, but now it is clearly my career that has gotten in the way of this project. But the light is at the end of the tunnel! I am thinking about putting the Mach 1 stripes on it soon, I just can't wait!

·
VMF Ambassador
6,668 Posts
Congratulations! That's incredibly exciting :) I bet you just live to hear the sound of that engine now

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congrats! I had the same feeling last year...driving it again for the first time after 10 years. Definitely a great feeling

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had so much fun yesterday, I went for a spin again tonight. Now if I could just get my pictures to upload through my ISP!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts