Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Coupe 289 v4 3 speed
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after 2 years of work and many times thinking it would never happen i drove my 66 for the first time. Now I have done a quarter mile here or there to make sure my alignment was right and simple to test the brakes.

But today I drove her about 20 miles. Went to the bank, parts store and stopped to see my wife at work. It was awesome! I really enjoyed ever moment of it. It was hot with no ac and there is a lot going on when you have to slow for a turn with no power steering or power brakes and make sure to shift into the right gear. But it was great :) Got her up to 55mph no issues at all there are some squeaky parts but can't hear them over the exhaust so who cares. Lol

I'm home charge my phone and get some water before going back out.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Vehicle registration plate

·
Premium Member
5,571 Posts
I miss the emoji that said "This thread is worthless without pictures.'

Congrats

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Feels pretty darn good don't it? My best advice would be always take your charged up phone & remember that Mustang won't stop on several dollars worth of change let a lone a dime. Plus alway put some gas in so it don't run out.

Have fun.

·
Registered
66 Coupe 289 v4 3 speed
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well no pics of it driving today but I will get some tomorrow for sure.

Do have this pic of one of my freeze plugs that started leaking.
Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas Diving mask

Guessing I can pop that one out and replace it. Its leaking near the center not at the sides so just bad plug i guess.

Ended up putting about 40 miles on her today. I do have some oil leaking at the line for my oil pressure gauge so going to take that off and maybe some tread tape? Not sure if that's the right way or not. But guessing taking it out can cleaning the treads might be enough to fix it too.

Over all after 42 years 2 small leaks after 40 miles isn't too bad.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Well no pics of it driving today but I will get some tomorrow for sure.

Do have this pic of one of my freeze plugs that started leaking.
View attachment 804497

Guessing I can pop that one out and replace it. Its leaking near the center not at the sides so just bad plug i guess.

Ended up putting about 40 miles on her today. I do have some oil leaking at the line for my oil pressure gauge so going to take that off and maybe some tread tape? Not sure if that's the right way or not. But guessing taking it out can cleaning the treads might be enough to fix it too.

Over all after 42 years 2 small leaks after 40 miles isn't too bad.
Just wire brush it off and coat it with some JBWeld to harden over night. Drive the car as much as you can for now and pop that plug out this winter.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5 331 TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear susp
1,100 Posts
Congrats...short drives to iron out any bugs is what I did as well. Looks like your freeze plug is pretty accessible, so might as well get to it.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The first drive is something you will never forget. I didnt even test drive my Mustang when I bought it so my first drive in it was when I drove it home after buying it. Congrats on that first drive!

Reactions: Warhawk

·
Premium Member
7,592 Posts
CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS!!

Reactions: Warhawk

·
Registered
66 Coupe 289 v4 3 speed
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok so total of 50 miles only issues where freeze plug leaking, oil pressure fitting leak and a squeak.

Swapped the freeze plug and put some thread sealer on the oil fittings solved both of those. The squeak took me a bit my exhaust was touching my leaf spring and would squeak so moved that.

Also did knock some stuff loose in my rear passenger drum. While showing my son what not to do I did a burnout and the rear started bounching then I heard a new squeak of the spring popping off. Fixed that quick and easy.

So dad will be here tomorrow very excited.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
ITs always a great feeling. Take a few minutes and starting with teh wheels, retorque things after a few heat cycles. Don't necessarily over torque anything but just make sure that after the metal expanded adn contracted a few times things are still tight. It will save you the ultimate loser experience of being broke down on the side of the road. Its one thing to be in a Taurus or 2002 F150 which nobody notices excpet to miss but a vintage Mustang will draw every eyeball in line of sight. That Big L on your forehead will be there for everyone to see. You WILL find something loose. Check u joints, motor mounts and accessory / alternator types of things. Headers also, gaskets compress etc.

nuf said.

Contratz

1 - 20 of 20 Posts