Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw on the news the other night, that the first GT-40 was bought by a guy in Kent. The purchaser had the car painted a custom blue and had a custom interior installed. The car was purchased for the small sum of $572,000 :eek: :eek: :eek:

The buyer is a Microsoft richy. Come on you computer programmers out their who's going to buy the second one ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
That's only $422,000 over MSRP. The markup is more than my house.

I'd prefer a half-dozen or so mint Shelby's, myself.

·
Premium Member
5,146 Posts
Well they sure lost out cause I would of paid $572,000.01 :D :: ;)

I think I will take 3 AC Cobra's and a 65 Shelby and raise you a Tripower. :: ::
What? ,We are not playing poker. SHUCKS. :: I had a good hand too. :: ::

Troy :: I like to bluff. :p

·
Registered
578 Posts
Jon Shirley was the buyer of the first GT40 to the public. Made mucho bucks when Microsoft stock was in its heyday and he was working there. Jay Leno is buying the second one sold to the public.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it would have been black I know who would have bought it :eek: :eek:

The price is shocking, some people have way to much cash. Can I have some please :: ::

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
At that price, I think even Scottie will pass.

It's a status thing, though... no way is that a 1/2 million dollar car, and in a few years it will have lost 80% of that purchase price in value.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You guys are saying that if the guy drives his new Ford GT to his house, then decides to sell it, the most he will be able to get is 100K? I highly doubt that. More like the few years one maybe. I think they may be able to hold their value well.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
That's NOT what I said, although I'd be HIGHLY surprised if he could recoup half his price immediately, or more than 25% after a couple of years.

·
Registered
550 Posts
... and Carroll Shelby REALLY gets going ( ::) about the "40" added into the car's name!! It just was used by the press so much (even though incorrectly) that it sticks for lots of folks. Oh well... whatever it's name it is one cool car! ::

·
Premium Member
3,825 Posts
Seems like false advertising, I'd want my $400k back if I were him. :p There are auctions on ebay were you bid what amount you're willing to pay over invoice, the most I had seen was around $100k.

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
Guess who's the Dicker Sticker in that transaction ::

·
Premium Member
2,636 Posts
If it's Jon Shirley, he not only worked there, he was president and COO for a number of years which means he got LOTS AND LOTS of options when the getting was good. He's still on the board of directors.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, i'm pretty sure it was John Shirley, I remmeber the news story stating it was a past Microsoft millionare. I think the car was bought as a status symbol, he had to be first. The car is highly customized, which also raised the price. As for value, I think it would sell for about the same amount as other Ford GT's, once more are on the market. But some rare cars are sold for extrodinarily prices above retail.

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
The article I found on it is here

Now I understand the $557K price tag - Shirley had bought the rights to that car at a charity auction quite awhile ago.

It will be interesting to start hearing what they start going for on the street once we get past this guy, Leno and those types. 'First sold to the public in the US' is a pretty big deal and I can see how someone could justify paying a premium, along with Leno getting the #11 car.

Now, what will the 1116th car go for? I doubt any will go for MSRP, but I sincerely doubt we'll see more going for $557K.

-bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts