Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I put a huge amount of HP under the hood, I need better brakes. I'm looking at kits from MP Brakes here http://www.mpbrakes.com/db1522p.htm
and SSB
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/444/?make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=1966
Here's my questions... Do I want a single or dual master cylinder? The MP kit looks great but it only has a single master. Do I want single piston calipers or 4 piston? Are 4 piston calipers more prone to leaks? I want to use a kit because (mechanically speaking) I am a moron. These kits look super simple to install. I have done my own brake jobs for years after getting ripped off at one of the big chain stores.

thanks
jim

G

·
0 Posts
Dual Master Cylinder is a must, at least for safety sake. I prefer 4 piston fixed calipers as opposed to the single piston floating kind.

I'm sure others will chime in.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
I would not trade my Baer setup for anything... Well maybe a psycho Brembo setup but I would not want to buy replacement parts for that ::

The Baer kit does not include the M/C in some configurations. As for a power M/C I believe Trans Am Racing and RC Motorsports sell some nice setups.

I run a non-power JMC unit and it's a really hard pedal.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Most of the "kits" seem to try to match the original installed stuff. The power assists are always big and bulky. Lots of poeple have hit the junkyard and found other booster/MC setups that are a lot smaller and work well. I remember someone using a setup off a Suzuki that was small but had a lot of stop to it.

Definitely use a dual MC with check valves. Main concern with non stock MC is amount of fluid it can move when you press the pedal. Make sure the MC bore is large enough to move enough fluid to clamp all four calipers. Bright side is that disc calipers use less fluid to stop than drum.

Usually a booster/MC upgrade setup for auction on oybay.

Good luck - keep us updated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts