Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an update, after mostly working on my 66 f/b for the past 5 years, I’ve finally put some miles on it. I still need to do a lot more but it is close to civil now. I was doing a track day with the local Porsche club today and drove around 150 miles of open freeway and averaged MPG of 18.2. That is with a 3.89 rear gear coupled with a T5 overdrive trans. Other specifics of my setup is a long rod 302 with a E303 roller cam, JBA shorty headers, full mandrel bend exhaust and Demon 625 CFM carb tuned a little lean. It was dyno’ed at 305 RWHP and 325 ft/lbs torque. Funny thing is that whilst at a Porsche club event (PCA DE), my 40 year old Ford got a lot of attention ::

Thanks for the bandwidth

·
Registered
242 Posts
Funny thing is that whilst at a Porsche club event (PCA DE), my 40 year old Ford got a lot of attention ::

Thanks for the bandwidth
You know, I was thinking that while Porsche and Ford owners don't often see eye to eye, the two really have a lot in common. Both Henry Ford (Model T) and Dr. Porsche (VW Beetle) started their respective empires building affordable, reliable "peoples cars". Ford and Porsche both ran the orange and blue Gulf colors at Lemans and other places in the '60s. Both claim Steve McQueen as an icon (the movie "Lemans" for Porsche, "Bullit" for Ford) and now both are building mid-engine, production super cars (Ford GT, Carrerra GT).

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
What a coincidence...I put 150 miles on my car today when I went to an event in San Diego. One reason I wanted to go was to determine the MPG since I converted to a T5z from a C4. C4 MPG was something like 11-12 MPG. Today's MPG was 17...better than my daily driver! I was cruising between 70-80 most of the way.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I get 10 mpg overall in my 390 with C-6 and 3.25 rear gear. I DO have a heavy right foot.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have two identical '91 5.0 LX mustangs. Mine has 115,000 miles, my wifes has 90,000 miles. She gets around 23 MPG and I get 27-28 MPG on my 72 mile round trip to work. No joke. I have driven her car, the way I drive mine, and it improves a little, 25 MPG, but it's never as good as mine. The 2.3L '90 5 speed I did only gets about 1 MPG better than the 5.0! I have worked trying to get Pam's as good as mine but I haven't.

The TT Fastback gets about 18MPG, the 260 powered 64.5 Vert gets about 24 on the freeway with 118,000 original miles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts