Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
At 21 years old, I’m new to the Mustang world. Have always been a Chevy kid. But, I was given a 1964.5 mustang with a brand new 326hp 302 Crate engine; and I want to build it. I have the original C4 from the car and have yet to install it. I got a free AOD from a friend, I would like to install it into the car. Do you guys have pros and cons of leaving the c4 or adding the AOD? I’d like to run 3.55 rear gear in the stock 8” rear end.

Also any other help on the build is greatly appreciated. Thank you!!
7446E2AA-B918-4DAB-A761-AF1DBB78D1C5.jpeg

·
Dimples
4,647 Posts
Howdy and welcome! Looks like a fun project. I don't know much about the AOD swap, though it sounds cool. Most will say that 3.55's are the absolute ceiling for a C4 and I would agree if real world drivability is the priority. You can go steeper with the AOD.

The only suggestion I can make is to sell the C4 and AOD and put in a T5, lol.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
the added gear that reduces engine rpms is nice to have to be sure. but it is up to you to decide if you dont mind the engine screaming while you drive a 70mph on the freeway.

the extra gear gives more flexibility to the car. that is why my stang will get an AOD when i get back to building it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The AOD definately makes it more useful now that speeds are 70mph rather than 55mph when the car was built. You'll need a few more things like the trans bellhousing adapter plate if you don't have it; the AOD lever should be pointing UP I believe, if it isn't you can take the pan off an rotate it so that the linkage will be a push/pull, if it points DOWN you'd have to mock up a reverse leverage linkage, much easier to just flip it.

You'll need a TV cable and set it up properly so you don't burn up the trans in the first few seconds of starting it the first time. There should be threads on that.

Driveshaft will be a different length and you'll need to measure with trans in car, wheels on ground and figure in for suspension movement so the DS doesn't fall out on full extension/ compression.
I plan to drive my car a lot and long road trips so an AOD was a must for me over the C4. I haven't got it on the road yet but also went with 3.50:1 in my 9".

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't know why I can't edit a few seconds later. To get under the car on all 4 wheels to measure driveshaft I used my original steelies with a piece of 2x8 across the rim under all 4 tires, that gave me enough room to slide under on my back and get a good measurement. I had an aluminum DS made to length.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Nice project car.

I would sell the c4 and sell the aod. Use those funds to get a 4r70W out of a 1999 mustang V6.

I run the aod in my 66 because I had one in a daily driver that rusted out real bad, so I stripped it for parts.

why suggest the 4r70W? It is a bit more expensive, with the control box you will have to buy, but you avoid the dreaded Preasure cable nightmare and have more control over the shifting/overdrive. It is also a more sturdy design, although I beefed up my aod with a 3200 stall converter, hardened input shaft with the lube mod, etc...$

On top of that, the 4r70W has more aggressive hearing in 1st and 2nd gear. I run a 3.89 in the factory 9” and like it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Be aware that the size of the AOD is substantially larger than the C4, so all the pre-made exhaust H/Y pipes will not clear the pan. You will have to either have a custom one made, make your own, or heavily modify an existing one. You also need a different crossmember to mount the transmission to. The TV cable must be adjusted exactly right. The Lokar TV cable kit and possibly a geometry-corrector will be necessary for mounting to your carburetor. You'll also need a wiring pigtail to splice into your stock neutral-safety switch to make that work. Also, not all driveshafts are the correct length to mount right up, so you may have an issue there. Also need a 164-tooth flexplate. The stock shifter lever and linkage under the car for the 1st gen cars hits the tailhousing of the trans, so you'll need to either bend it, or use a later one (67/8) that had provisions for the larger C6s. They do make an adjustable shift lever for AOD as well that takes the place of the linkage. The 67 units look the same in the car, and you can use it with your 65 shift bezel if you want a stock look. There are transmission cooler lines prebent for AOD, so that's good. It's not quite as "bolt on" as we'd like it to be, but the exhaust is really the biggest PIA.

I have one in one of my '66 coupes with the 3:55 gears. I think that is the perfect ratio for it. Lots of low-end grunt, but nice and smooth on the highway. I still don't think I'd do it again with all the mods required. Nothing wrong with a C4 when it comes right down to it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
the issue of the TV cable can be solved, and make it a kick down cable, by installing a constant pressure valve body from silver fox;

it doesnt eliminate the TV cable, but it does change how it works and its sensitivity to adjustment.

lentech also has a variety of valve bodies, and they reprogram them to change the shift pattern. contact them i think they also have a constant pressure valve body as well;

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Hey all,
At 21 years old, I’m new to the Mustang world. Have always been a Chevy kid. But, I was given a 1964.5 mustang with a brand new 326hp 302 Crate engine; and I want to build it. I have the original C4 from the car and have yet to install it. I got a free AOD from a friend, I would like to install it into the car.D
Well...... having bought our '68 'Vert already converted to an AOD, I'll give you my experience.Car had a stock 302 and a late '80's vintage of a AOD. Car was a dog performance wise but looked really nice. I built my first engine--a 347 with TFS heads alum.intake, custom cam ect. Ran nice but still I knew the AOD was holding it back. I had a custom valve body built by Lentech up in Canada and got Lenny at Ultimate Converters to build a custom converter. Quite a bit better but still not what I thought it should b and I had other guys drive it and all agreed with me. Long story short.....I pulled the AOD and converter and sold it all off to partially finance a T5Z swap. 4 yr later and we could not be happier. Running a 3.80 rear gear with this combo. I know there a a ton of guys that love the AOD but I would never go that route as long as I canpush in a clutch LOL.. Just my opinion and I know it isn't exactly what you asked for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow great response guys thank you everyone! I think I decided at this point, I’m going to have the c4 rebuilt with a shift kit, get a good converter, and buy a 3.55 posi for the rear end.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Wow great response guys thank you everyone! I think I decided at this point, I’m going to have the c4 rebuilt with a shift kit, get a good converter, and buy a 3.55 posi for the rear end.
Easiest and a good choice IMO. I would highly recommend a custom converter--not a lot more and it can be tailored to your EXACT combo--anything else is a compromise to some extent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts