Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fallen in love with the 65-66’ Mustang convertible and have started the research process as to what to look for in a car and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I want thanks to everybody here. I have been looking around on the internet eBay, Craigslist, Facebook, as well as some of the larger classic car listing sites and I have been struggling with where to find a good car? Reading some of the reviews for the shops like gateway have me nervous about considering any cars from similar type dealers. I will be a first time classic car buyer so forgive me if my questions are “rookie”.

Ideally, I would like a good to very good V8 driver vert that is true to its code plate ideally in red. I am not looking for a fixer upper. My budget is $30k or less. Does this seem like something that is doable or do I need to adjust my expectations on price or condition?

From my internet research, it seems like the cars I am most drawn to (based on the last few weeks of looking) are housed at classic car dealerships. As I mentioned those type of shops make me nervous and I have kinda been shocked that I have not seen many private sales that similarly check boxes for “looks nice” and is “priced right” (which makes me even more nervous about the classic car dealer cars).

I would greatly appreciate any thoughts on where I should start, lookout for, or consider! Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Try putting feelers out at your local Mustang club. I've also seen some nice cars sold by members on this site at a reasonable price. Be patient.

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
You’re already off to a good start by doing your research.

Based on your budget, if you’re patient, you can find what you’re looking for just using Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. I don’t blame you for being wary of the dealerships. Not for sleazy reasons, they’re just so overpriced.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Two things, patience and go look at a lot of Mustangs to learn how to assess and what to look for. Nice cars are a crap shoot, they can look nice from a quick turn shop but in a few years you have a full fledged restoration ahead of you. Its much better to buy from a mustang owner who has had the car for 20 years and has receipts for everything. Seek photos of the restoration or better yet, find a survivor...

Part of the hobby can be the search and research. Unfortunately, you have to kiss a lot of frogs which involves a lot of travel. Use teh search feature on this site to find out what to look for.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You should be able to find what you’re looking for in your price range. Bring a Trailer is a good website, if not to buy, then to learn how to evaluate a car. Review past Mustang sales and read the comments. You may even find a worthwhile car there one day. They’ve been having a lot of Mustangs recently. Post pictures here of anything you’re considering seriously and get the opinion of the experts. Also consider using a company that does pre-purchase inspections. It’s not a guarantee that problems don’t exist, but a second set of eyes is always a good idea, especially on your first purchase. Get in touch with your local MCA club chapter now, great group of enthusiasts. Build your resources. With a convertible your biggest enemy is rust, learn where and how to identify issues. Good luck! Club Mustangs is awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate all the good information and glad that my budget should be in range. I’ll start looking into my local chapter here in Austin!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Update your profile to indicate the location or area where you reside. Seeing in your above post that you indicated Austin. I assume Texas? If so, there are many members on here that reside in that area and may be able to give you a helping hand inspecting a local candidate.

When I was searching for my Fastback, it took me almost a year to find what I wanted. For me the search and researching was the most fun part of the chase.

Best of luck with your search.

John
I appreciate all the good information and glad that my budget should be in range. I’ll start looking into my local chapter here in Austin!

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Hi. You should be able to find a car within your budget. It's good that you are taking your time and doing your research. You definitely don't want to make a regrettable purchase and be stuck with a car that you overpaid for or dislike. Unless you are going for an absolute concourse car, you might have to compromise on the door code plate as long as it is a proper A or C coded car. In regards to drivability, it might be good to take note of things like disc brakes, tandem master cylinder, power steering, upgraded suspension, AC, or if you want a car with overdrive (AOD or T5) for highway driving. You may have to pay a premium for a completely stock car, or you can get a solid cruiser with a few aftermarket updates. As someone else mentioned rust is the biggest enemy with convertibles. Best of luck with your search.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Great comments and suggestions to consider.

I am partial to the 65-66 as well. Here are some of my thoughts...

Engine codes T, C, A, K often make a difference in pricing. Since you mentioned a V8 that would be the c code 2b, A code 4b or the K code high performance.
Paint - If you are going for a stock "red" color, then the choice would be 65 rangoon red or 66 candy apple red. My first Mustang was a candle apple red c code coupe and I loved that car.
Options - Unlimited, but check for B identifier if you are looking for the factory deluxe package - 76B for the convertible.

I have had two convertibles and they both had power tops. I like the GT package and added it to both of those cars.

I live in Houston, so if you check out a car down here, send me a note and I will meet up with you.

Best of luck.

Ron

·
Premium Member
13,175 Posts
I just saw this on Fleabay. Not exactly what you're looking for but it will give you an idea of prices. Notice that it's $18K OBO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi. You should be able to find a car within your budget. It's good that you are taking your time and doing your research. You definitely don't want to make a regrettable purchase and be stuck with a car that you overpaid for or dislike. Unless you are going for an absolute concourse car, you might have to compromise on the door code plate as long as it is a proper A or C coded car. In regards to drivability, it might be good to take note of things like disc brakes, tandem master cylinder, power steering, upgraded suspension, AC, or if you want a car with overdrive (AOD or T5) for highway driving. You may have to pay a premium for a completely stock car, or you can get a solid cruiser with a few aftermarket updates. As someone else mentioned rust is the biggest enemy with convertibles. Best of luck with your search.
You bring up some good points in regards to safety and practicality features that I didn’t really think about. I think disc brakes and AC are a must for me. It appears that there are several cars that came stock with AC but the brakes will be a “Restomod” option if I want them. In regards to swapping transmissions, what does that do to the value? Having a classic car to me is a luxury item and should I want (or need) to get out of it in the future I don’t want to be totally wiped out if I were to add a few non original but functional modifications.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Attend car shows and "Cars & Coffee" events in your area. Talk to other Mustang owners. Maybe "i know a guy who knows a guy...." might actually lead to a real car ! Be patient.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts