Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally bought my first mustang yesterday. Went with a 65 coupe, its a project, but it has potential. It of course reminded me of this when the radiator blew a seam yesterday and I had it towed home. Now the fun begins. Any suggestions on where to find a new radiator, or any other general helpful hints on where to start. Here's some of the facts. The car has been sitting for a year. It has some minor body work needed, no rust. The engine is a 289 C code, it feels and sounds strong, but of course has been sitting. The AT tranny was supposedly replaced before it was parked. The car needs some TLC, just where to apply it first?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well whatever work it might need, it sounds like yours is a lot better off than my first Mustang, 24 years ago.

edit: there was supposed to be an image here of the POJ, but it won't show for some reason.
http://localhost:81/albums/v219/GT40Capri/mustang1.jpg

·
Registered
678 Posts
Congratulations on your new 'stang. :)

Run down to Sacramento Mustang and get their catalog. I'm sure that they can fix you up with whatever you might need. A lot of the Mustang catalogs have radiators available for most 65-70 applications. You'll find there is a wealth of repro parts available for your car so you shouldn't have any problems finding what you want... course, paying for everything you want is a different matter! :p

Steve

http://chezdajez.mypicgallery.com/stevesmach1/trunknmustangs.jpg
72 Mach 1 Q Code, 71 Mach 1 M Code, 97 F-150

·
Registered
251 Posts
dont feel bad about your radiator. first day i had mine the thing overheated, locked up the rear wheels so i couldnt even push it to the side of the road and started leakign gas...your in good shape ;)

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
As with the radiator, after sitting for a year, expect "little" things to fail. The first area of conscern would be the brake system..if it doesnt have it already, at the least you should upgrade to dual resiviour master cylinder('67 is a bolt in)Good luck with the purchase. Now you have something to spend all your spare time and money on.... :: :p ;) ::

Joe

·
Registered
559 Posts
Your car is a lot better off than my first mustang. I just bought my first stang a few months ago (64 1/2 Coupe) and it needs a lot more work than a radiator. Lots of body work, complete engine/tranny rebuild etc. etc. So it looks like you're in pretty good shape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts