Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.
As a newbie I thought I would tell you all a little about myself before I get into the subject of my first post. I’m 36 and live on Long island NY. My first car was a 1970 Mustang Sportsroof. I have had old fords in one form or another all my life. They ranged in size from my 1964 Galaxie 500 to a Pinto runabout. I spin wrenches for a living, for better or worse.
The subject of this post has been done a million times I’m sure. But it cant help to ask. My pop’s old 1965 Coupe has been with me for what seems forever. He purchased the car in 1966 and attempted to convert it to auto in 1967. The car sat motionless till the 80’s when I came along. I guess I was lucky as it never saw winter salt or rain or even sunlight for that matter. We got it roadworthy rebuilding the brakes, the cyl head, re-installing the trans ect. Well the formentioned Sportsroof came along and she sat again. Till now.
I have all but finished my 1971 Torino GT :D and my attention has turned to the Mustang. I’m compelled to get it back on the road. However that darn little I-6 with 3 speed stick just doesn’t do it for me. ::
As a owner of a 1986 GT back in the day I can say I miss the car. So why not simply swap a late model V-8 <5.0> between the shock towers with a T-5 behind it. Seems fitting as weren&#8217;t the export mustangs called T-5&#8217;s? Anyways I know I have to go the 5 lug route <8 inch and Granada Spindals/Brakes most likely> but what about the drivetrain? Pre 1986 Mustangs had carbs and the 85 GT was a stout engine if I recall. With a larger fuel feed line I would assume this to be a no brainier swap. But what about perhaps 351ws? Could I find/steal a power plant from a late model Fseries with a 5.4 and 5 speed? Again, I&#8217;m just trying to explore options here. Keep in mind the car sports a clutch pedal already, and I assume with the help of a Mustang Steve Upgrade it will be T-5 friendly. Then again I don&#8217;t suppose the trans behind my current I6 is good for much of anything now is it? If I recall the orig 3 speed was tossed. I do believe a 3 speed from of all thing a tow tug <aircraft puller> put in it&#8217;s place.
Well this is long enough. I&#8217;m glad I found this forum. Seem&#8217;s like a nice bunch.
Best Regards
Tommy in NY

P.S. Sorry to the purists who go nuts every time a 6 cyl car is converted. Also I don&#8217;t think I have the time <or patience> to switch over to a 5.0 fuel injected engine. It&#8217;s bad enough I have to read electrical diagrams at work!
Pictures of the cars can be seen here : My Little Site

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Hey welcome to the VMF.. I'm just across the Sound from you in Milford, CT.

Anyway... your question has been covered so many times the best way to answer it is with the search option above. Use phrase like v8 conversion, etc. and you'll get more info than you could ever use.

As for the T5 that's an easy swap as well and you'll get the same abundance of info with a "T5" search.

Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will be able to get all of your answers here, for sure.

With regard to stuffing a 5.0 into your little six-er, that should be pretty easy to do. You will want the front end out of a v8 car, for sure, as well as the rear end, driveshaft and wheels. Basically, every part of the suspension will need to be changed out.

A 351w will fit, but not nearly as well. They leave very little room at the top, so if you run anything but a stock intake you would need a cowl hood to go with it.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks much for the welcome! I must improve my search skills as I netted zero results on the conversion before I posted the note. I might have used the words "swap" though. Oh well.
Thanks again and Best Regards
Tommy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They leave very little room at the top, so if you run anything but a stock intake you would need a cowl hood to go with it.
Thanks much that was one area I never gave thought too. Not that your going to find me running a tunnel ram or the likes anytime soon! Well at least on anything street driven. I like to keep my engines dry when it rains!
Thanks again.
Tommy

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Here is another supporter of the six...

Don't discount it until you research some, especially on www.fordsix.com

There are some amazing set ups there. The biggest problem with 6 cylinder performance is the log intake. That kills everything. As mentioned, it is a die-hard engine, almost impossible to kill, and is extremely easy to work on. When I first got my vert I thought about a V-8 swap, but the 6 has won me over for what I need (I don't race) and since I"m secure enough of my masculinity, I don't need the V8 to make me feel better (sorry V8 guys...had to say it).

Slade

·
Registered
573 Posts
Welcome to the VMF!!

Good luck in your quest....I am also going through the 6 to 8 swap...just picked up a 302 for my 65 vert. You will find that the money is just about equal either way. If you decide to hop up the 6 you will want to upgrade the brakes, suspension, and possibly steering anyways. Since you will be converting almost everything to 8 standards your cost is going to be comparable. If you were to go all out with the 6 you will have wanted to upgrade trans and rearend as well to get the power out that you put in so its all relative to what you want to tell people when you grind them into the ground...You beat them with a 6 or an 8.

So even though I am very secure with my manhood I have found that here in Indiana I can find more parts for less money for my 302 than my I6 200.....ie 302 oil pan $62.00...200 oil pan $150.00 :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts