Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fired up the 'Stang today after two years of being in the garage for restoration. Everything electrical worked out perfectly except for the oil pressure light which worked backwards. Late model instrumentation uses a guage but it works like a idiot light. It has only two positions, off and on. Since I thought I could use the sensor that came with my Ford crate engine, it was a switch, only problem is it was an NO switch rather than an NC switch. Oh well, thats the least of the problems. Engine started up and had that typical hp lope. The header gaskets weren't tight and so it made quite a racket. Gotta fix that. Several coolant leaks were discovered and fixed. Also several fuel leaks. Why the hell can't Mr. Gasket make a double pumper fuel line that fits Holley carbs and doesn't leak? The first of these $40 wonders was fairly nice looking but the flares on the ends didn't match Holley fittings? Its clear that it had metric sized nuts on the line (17mm) but the flares were really flat looking and leaked like a sieve. Got another line, one of those expando lines with the blue/red (ugh) ends and aircraft looking webbing on it (ugh). It worked better since the flares were correct but I still had to use teflon tape on the bottoms of the flares and where the fuel gauge allen screw in placed. Mr. Gasket, both of these pieces are rotton! Where's quality control? Okay, solved these minor trivia and set out for my first spin around the neighborhood. Gawd do old Mustangs drive heavy (no power steering) and the steering is bad news (gotta do something here...where are you TCP?) After a mile or so the steering was so bad I thought I'd better go home and put the car back in the stable. Good things were evident though. Engine fired off with no timing errors or problems, T5 worked beautifully and so far no evidence of any oil or tranny ATF leaks. Not too bad for a first day...car looks beautiful and new sitting there. I was disappointed it wasn't ready for a real cruise! Cest La Vie! SWMBO was disappointed too...she was really looking forward to the first ride...then later in the evening she beat me for spending too much money...

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
FIRST RIDES,,Those are good times,,as for fittings EARLS or RUSSELL is the only way to go for perfect fit,,And if you don't like the red/blue color spray them with eazy-off oven cleaner(yellow label) and let them sit ,,after a while rinse them off and polish with alum polish and they are chrome looking

1 - 3 of 3 Posts