Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally ran the motor with the transmission installed (was not installed for cam break in), and neutral was giving me problems at first. The car is on jack stands in the rear as I wanted to make sure I did not end up in fwd or reverse when I did not expect it if I messed up the rebuild

At first I shifted to reverse and the tire spun reverse. Went to "drive" and tire spun forward in all 3 forward positions on the shifter (solid dot, green dot, L). I could not get neutral though. Sometimes tire would stay going forward, and sometimes it would go reverse depending on where I was coming from. A while later, I started the motor again and now it seemed to work sometimes and then eventually now seems to work properly. I did top off another 1/2 qt of fluid. So I am still a little concerned that there might still be a problem that is coming and going. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Try starting the car with the hand brake engaged. Sometimes there's enough internal friction in the trans to turn the rear axle if the tires aren't on the ground/locked.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Neutral seems to be working great now. Not sure why, but maybe just needed a little run time to settle things down.

·
Registered
35,950 Posts
Thanks guys. Neutral seems to be working great now. Not sure why, but maybe just needed a little run time to settle things down.
Without a load on the output shaft (driveshaft) the internal drag and viscosity of the ATF can cause the output shaft to turn slowly even when in neutral. Quite normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts