Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a good reference book on replacing
the rear frame rails on a 65 conv. I have seen a spot weld removing bit but I can't remember where. Silly me didn't think I
would need one. Thanx

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
IIRC, Mustang Monthly did a photo essay on replacing rear rails about 3 years ago. As I recall, the car was getting trunk floors and quarters at the same time.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Check out the CJ pony parts website. It has a restoration section, which has a great section on an almost complete rear half of a 66 vert resto... I think KAR also has something about that...

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I've done this on my '68 vert. Take lots of measurements. I'm assuming you're also replacing the trunk floors....if not, might be a good time to think about it. I replaced both rear rails....the last 18" of each. I had to cut the replacement rails and recreate the flange (about 3" deep) for a lap joint. Welded both inside and outside of the joint. I have some pics, PM me if you're interested.

As for a spot weld bit...I've used the Eastwood bits...wore out pretty quick, but that could have been my fault. I recently bought a spot weld cutter, looks like a wood hole saw, and it has worked beautifully. I have removed over 150 spot welds in replacing my cowl pans. It is a double sided bit. If you're not careful, you will break the bit, so go slow. I bought it from my local auto parts store for about $25 with 5 replacement bits. It should last me a long time. It takes some practice and it cuts really quickly.....so be carefull. Good luck,
Gregg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts