Vintage Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I may have missed any comments about the door tag indicating that this is a C code car,
which would make it a non factory GT. Still a nice looking Mustang.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,772 Posts
Anyone else see the rust bubbles at the bottom corner of the driver's fender/door?

To the OP: if these are the only photos that you have of the car, you NEED an inspector. Unless you're in the habit of throwing good money over bad.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Missing R on hood. Pass side interior door handle messed up. LH door panel door pull insert not sitting properly. LH door latch screw--one seems to be messed up. Wrong colour blue on engine. Door mirrors look like them may interfere with vent windows.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would check for Mustang cowl cancer. It is extremely common and can be a costly repair to be done correctly. When I check out an early Pony for others, I bring a few bottles of water to test for cowl leaks.

Previous recommendations are all spot on. I like using recommendations from MCA (Mustang Club of America), either a couple of knowledgeable members, especially judges, or a Mustang restoration business in the area. The monies paid can save thousands more later. You need someone who knows these cars and what to look or in evaluating its history and condition.

Those are nice pictures but they do not tell you everything.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
April 17, 2021.

Hi everyone, remember me? I'm the guy who bought the convertible from MN sight unseen.

Well, it was delivered last week, and it appears it needs a little work.

Wow, the pictures sure did not look like this.

What should I do.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I definitely agree with everyone else about buying site unseen. Convertibles require extra due diligence underneath due to rust.
Other areas to consider..
History on the car
Previous owners that you may talk to
Receipts, bill of sale, and other documentation
Pics, video's.
Confirmation that fender Vin matches door data plate.

Ron
With the VIN, what is important that the fender VIN matches the title. The door data plate has nothing to do with the "legality" of the VIN or car.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'll agree with the previous comments but will throw y'all a curveball.

I bought my Fastback (and first Mustang) 9 years ago. I searched nationwide for almost a year for a '66 Fastback that fit my criteria. I wanted one of two colors, Tahoe Turquoise as a 1st choice and Emberglo as a 2nd choice. Also it had to have the matching "Pony" interior. Engine had to be a 289 with preferably a 4-speed. The car I found fit everything I was looking for with the exception it was an automatic. The car was in the greater Boston area, I was in South Dakota.

Correspondence with the (private) seller in my opinion was excellent. He answered every question I had and provided to me pictures/video of everything I asked for and more. I felt he was honest and truthful and a deal was struck. So, in a sense, I bought mine "sight unseen" having never laid eyes or hands on it in person but felt like I knew it inside and out. I arranged shipping and upon arrival to SD, I found a car that was exactly as described by the seller with no surprises.

Ask me now if I would do it that way again and I would tell you with what I know now, no way.
I'd spend the money to: A) Look at in person or B) Find someone in close proximity to the car's location to do an inspection for me.

This forum is a great resource. Utilize it to its fullest extent. There are so many members here that are more than happy to share their expertise and experiences and can guide you appropriately. I'm just thankful that I didn't have to share a horror story about my purchase.

John
My story is just like yours. I always swore I would never buy a car sight unseen. I had owned two other classic Mustangs including a GT/CS. Found this one in Mid-December. The seller could not have been more forthcoming. Problem was trying to fly to Miami 4 days before Christmas was expensive as only full fare first class seats were available for about $2,500. Bought it sight unseen. I was so pleased with it and still am. If I had gone down there and the seller was driving a harder bargain, I would have paid more for it.

Would I do it again? No way. A person could not get that lucky twice in one lifetime.

·
Premium Member
5,263 Posts
@Mustangerbob1 I call dibbs on those Dealer-installed fog lamps !!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
2 years ago I sold a Mustang for a lady who's husband had paid a shop to resto-mod the car around the time that he passed away.
The car was stunning to look at. It was beautiful. I considered buying it. I lost sleep with it sitting in my driveway. It had that OMG! appeal that made people loose their minds.
After I got an in-depth look at the car I was horrified at the jack-leg, poor quality work. There were so many things done wrong with the car that I was scared to drive it. I marketed the car as an unfinished project.
With that car I learned about the passion that can overtake a buyer's common sense. People would see it and want to pay cash the same day. They had to have it. People that wanted to buy it for their kid or wife, I told them it wasn't the right car for them. I finally had someone that assured me he was a do-it-yourself car guy buy it . I still remember the glaze in his eyes. I still feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
There's just so much wrong... But let's start with the wrinkled cowl lip where the right braces attach. Does the seller have the missing parts of the airconditioning system? If this car is a "family" car the seller might be nieve if the car is advertised as excellent or perfect. If the car is being sold at the low end "needs restoration" level then the price needs to right and you need to know you could put as much as $100000 into this car. If you must have the color and interior you might consider buying a solid car and having a "clone" built.
Before You Buy a Classic Car, Read This...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
@classic kit Check out this car on BaT. This is the only way I would even consider buying a car sight unseen. Good luck!

Reactions: blueovalfan68

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
@classic kit Check out this car on BaT. This is the only way I would even consider buying a car sight unseen. Good luck!

Looking at this one on BaT versus the one the OP posted, and also knowing the asking price of the one the OP posted, I would be following the BaT auction and bid on it before pursuing the OP posted car assuming that you were buying sight unseen. From viewing all the pictures of both cars, the BaT car just appears more honest - my .02 for what it's worth.

John

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
The BaT car looks plenty questionable. The "upgraded" front suspension seems to be fully stock except for the strut rod bushings that may be polyurethane. The "updated" front disk brakes are definitely Granada, judging by the air scoops in the backing plate. And the puny tie rod ends look like bump steer just sitting there. The current price is $21,500 with 3 days to go. Not bad yet. If the OP can get the car inspected as safe to drive for a while. Just a little rot in the front body structure. less than three inch holes in the convertible top well. And shipped, taxed, titled, plates and tank of gas. $20,000?

·
Registered
1965 Ford Mustang fastback T5 Ncas 9in Locker
994 Posts
First, what is the hole in hinge all about?
Second, 2 buddies of mine, 1 bought sight unseen 72 GTO convertible supposedly all restored. Shipped to his house, 2 weeks later maybe 4 short drives in town transmission goes out. 2000 for R&R and rebuild. Towing 125.00 seller said it had 455 not true 400.
After getting car back out for a drive, car starts pulling left when braking, long story, wheel bearing. He did have some one look at the car before he bought it. Also heat and a/c not working. This was a 35000 car.
Another buddy bought a72 Mach one 16000 sight unseen, lets just say he was happy that it was a solid body car, lots of mechanical problems, but happy.
But NO. I WOULD NEVER BUY SIGHT UNSEEN

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,313 Posts
April 17, 2021.

Hi everyone, remember me? I'm the guy who bought the convertible from MN sight unseen.

Well, it was delivered last week, and it appears it needs a little work.

View attachment 778764

Wow, the pictures sure did not look like this.

What should I do.
Funny,....!!

Buyer beware

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,546 Posts
A few years ago I was asked to take a look at a '70 Mustang sportsroof that was just purchased by an othewise highly intelligent adult for his teen age son, sight uneen, off of ebay from Maryland and shipped cross country at his expense to California. It was represented as a solid project. I was initially shocked by what I found. It wasn't even a roller. I contacted a buddy who has excellent welding skills and has completed two vintage Mustangs for himself. The scope of the work needed on this '70 scared him!!!!!!!!!!! I'm talking about a car that needs massive amounts of cubic dollars to undo the criminally incompetent welding done by the previous owner and replace all the worn out and missing parts. There wasn't a straight piece of sheet metal on that car. To emphasize how far gone this POS was, I think the windshield wiper blades were salvageable......seriously. No bueno

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,546 Posts
He paid to have it shipped across country and assuming the seller was willing, shipping back to Maryland would have likely been on his dime as well. At that point cutting his loses and selling it as is or parting it out were two options suggested. Expensive lesson buying sight unseen.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I went to look at a truck advertised as being in "good condition". It had side swiped a tree, leaving the driver's side rippled and bending the rear axle. The interior was burned out from fire and it had quilts laid over completely bare seat springs.
That truck was fine for the farmer that only used it to move hay across the field. Advertised condition is in the eye of the beholder.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts