Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 85 Posts

·
I won a special award
7,602 Posts
Advertised condition is in the eye of the beholder.

I got tons of stories of going to look at cars over the years where that was the case.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Good one Mustangerbob1. Thats funny!

Reminds me of this story about a Mustang purchase site unseen...

Ron
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! this is the car/story I was thinking of, I wished it had pictures of the damage. There were pics of a 70 Fastback that literally had 1/4" of bondo over the whole car, covering rust and everything. The person had taken a grinder/sander and cut deep grooved in the bondo all along the car so you could see how deep and bad the car was. It wouldn't have looked that bad unless someone had cut the bondo to show you what was there.

·
I won a special award
7,602 Posts
The person had taken a grinder/sander and cut deep grooved in the bondo all along the car so you could see how deep and bad the car was. It wouldn't have looked that bad unless someone had cut the bondo to show you what was there.
You're not thinking of my recent post about the quarter panel adventures I'm currently dealing with on my 70 fastback are you?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Reactions: Maxum96

·
Registered
6,534 Posts
Please, stop right in your tracks....you must find and pay someone to inspect the car-and not someone the buyer recommends....if there is an internet ad posted, clue us in and you will be shocked at what the group sees and comments on..
Preferable someone who is licensed and bonded to inspect.

·
Registered
472 Posts
So where did OP go?

Reactions: ginpunk

·
I won a special award
7,602 Posts
Reactions: sixseven

·
Registered
730 Posts
I had seen that one a couple of days ago when it had been bid up to $29k. Looks pretty solid but you never know unless you look at it and know what you are looking at. The top is a mess as is under the hood. At a sale price of $38k, the seller did very, very well. Just short of "making out like a bandit."

·
Registered
578 Posts
Sorry, this does not help the thread and I am just rambling.

I basically purchased my 69 Fastback sight unseen back in the early 1990's. I used a well-known company in the UK to get a car for me and bring it back to the UK. It had to be a 69 and a Fastback and a small block V8. I wanted next to no rust with a few scabs at most and it had to have pretty decent paint. Things like what brakes, transmission, etc I was not too fussed about. If they found a manual transmission or disk brakes, then I would have it. But I would settle for an auto with drum brakes, which is what they got for me. I changed all these things later anyway as it was to be my project car.

When they found the car, they posted me a load of pictures so I could see what it looked like. But I had to take their word on how solid it was. They took a lot of pictures, but at the end of the day, they cant photograph everything.

But this was the best bit. This company is very well known in the UK and have a reputation to keep. So if they said it was rust-free, then it will be. And then they even said when it arrives, I can look it over and even back out of the deal if I want to. And it was exactly what they said it would be when it arrived. It came from California and was more or less 100% rust-free. They told me when they found it, that there was a small rusted hole in the floorplan behind the driver's seat. And that was basically it. And included in the price I paid for it, they had purchased a propper repair section for that part of the floor and had the old one professionally cut out and the new one welded in for me.

And since owning the car, I have been all over it and there are no hidden horrors. I could not have been happier.

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Good one Mustangerbob1. Thats funny!

Reminds me of this story about a Mustang purchase site unseen...

Ron
I remember reading that story when I started to look for my Mustang.

I'm also recalling a member here who lived in Australia. He bought a Mustang convertible sight unseen and had it shipped all the way Down Under. I think it was yellow. It looked great. When he put it on a lift, he discovered someone had literally jammed 2x4s into completely rusted out frame rails and covered them with filler.

·
I won a special award
7,602 Posts
I'm also recalling a member here who lived in Australia. He bought a Mustang convertible sight unseen and had it shipped all the way Down Under. I think it was yellow. It looked great. When he put it on a lift, he discovered someone had literally jammed 2x4s into completely rusted out frame rails and covered them with filler.
Yup, I remember that one. I never heard what the end result was.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm purchasing an '66 Mustang Convertible C code 289 V8 automatic sight unseen (not traveling due to covid and will have vehicle shipped cross country)

I've been dreaming of buying this exact car since I was a kid and couldn't be more excited. But this is my first classic car purchase and I'm a novice when it comes to anything mechanical. Any advice for vehicle due diligence that can be done remotely? What kind of questions should I be asking the seller to root out problems and major repair expenses?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Advice? Never purchase any vehicle sight unseen. Never. It won’t matter what questions you ask someone that is selling a turd. You’re still going to get a turd. If you’re fortunate that it works out, good luck. I bought a helicopter once from a reputable website. The guy scammed me by taking pictures of a different one. And he sold me a piece of junk for $49,000. Which I fixed up and resold for $18k. Sight unseen? Never again. It was a real horror story. And it happens minute by minute to lots of good folk. My sister went out of state to pick it up and to make the delivery arrangements. I failed to go there or else I could’ve at least shot the guy in the face with my 12 gauge shotgun. :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone! I'm purchasing an '66 Mustang Convertible C code 289 V8 automatic sight unseen (not traveling due to covid and will have vehicle shipped cross country)

I've been dreaming of buying this exact car since I was a kid and couldn't be more excited. But this is my first classic car purchase and I'm a novice when it comes to anything mechanical. Any advice for vehicle due diligence that can be done remotely? What kind of questions should I be asking the seller to root out problems and major repair expenses?

I agree with the others. I suggest you contact the nearest Mustang club where the car is and have someone inspect it . I bought my first 66 ,so called rust free, convertible off Ebay and it was a disaster. These cars are very rust prone ,floors inner rockers ,frame rails etc. I would have the inspector due a cowl vent drain test on both driver and passenger side to see if water leaks into the car. If it does its a costly repair and most likely that leak caused a rust issue with the floors etc. My second 66 conv purchase had 60+ photos and turned out to be a rust free car. Don`t rush it and you`ll save a boat load of money. The best way to buy these cars is rust free with original sheet metal from Ford if possible .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you thinking about the guy from Australia where it also had 2x4's shoved in the frame rails to keep it from collapsing?

To the OP, I hate to echo the others, but get it inspected. We're talking about a 55 year old car designed and built to last 5-10 years. There are a lot of unscrupulous sellers out there that will sell a rust bucket car as being in excellent condition. My car looked great when I bought it. Beautiful paint. Would you believe that very little of the original sheet metal will remain when I'm done fixing it? Luckily for me I'm doing the work saving me a ton of money on labor.

Not trying scare you. I just would hate to see you get stung. It could be a really nice car without rust.

What it looked like when I bought it

View attachment 778711

Some of the repair work I've had to do to it

View attachment 778712

View attachment 778713

View attachment 778714
Your project looks to be moving along nicely. Very sanitary shop. And using real safety stands. One of my favorite models too. Have so much fun with the vehicle.

·
I won a special award
7,602 Posts
Your project looks to be moving along nicely. Very sanitary shop. And using real safety stands.
I'm glad to see I'm fooling people! lol

Thanks for the compliments. It's moving along after a very long (6 years) break. I try to keep my garage clean, but it's a b*tch when you're grinding off 1/2" thick bondo and filling the garage up with bondo dust.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Pay the money to have it inspected. There are many avenues to have this done. Be very leery of a vehicle that has been freshly painted. Do not just rely on what the seller is telling you. My story is I bought a 1966 fastback that had been freshly painted. The seller assured me the car was solid and in great mechanical shape. 6 months after I purchased it, the paint started bubbling under the rear window. After the first oil change the engine developed a rod knock. I cannot stress enough to have a professional examine the car.

·
Registered
1966 GT Convertible 289 A code, C4, 3.25 limited slip, R ivy green, white & ivy gold pony
9 Posts
Wow i'm overwhelmed by all of your thoughtful responses - thank you! I will absolutely hire a 3rd party to inspect before committing to anything

Here's the car in question, she's just outside of Minneapolis. I've been searching high and low for the past year and this is one of the only cars in my price range that fits my criteria: 289 Convertible, Tahoe Turquoise, Pony Interior, two tone paneling, wood inlay. I love it!

@myfirstcar66 @Mike the old grump @geicoman58 @Still workin' on my 66 @Maxum96 @cj428mach @awhtx @patrickstapler @Israel @image98
View attachment 778715
Wow i'm overwhelmed by all of your thoughtful responses - thank you! I will absolutely hire a 3rd party to inspect before committing to anything

Here's the car in question, she's just outside of Minneapolis. I've been searching high and low for the past year and this is one of the only cars in my price range that fits my criteria: 289 Convertible, Tahoe Turquoise, Pony Interior, two tone paneling, wood inlay. I love it!

@myfirstcar66 @Mike the old grump @geicoman58 @Still workin' on my 66 @Maxum96 @cj428mach @awhtx @patrickstapler @Israel @image98
View attachment 778715

·
Registered
1966 GT Convertible 289 A code, C4, 3.25 limited slip, R ivy green, white & ivy gold pony
9 Posts
Dear classic kit,
my brother/partner of Mustang Masters of VA just got to Minneapolis tonight - he is there til Fri noon. He may be able to help you if you contact me ASAP.
I would be wary that this car is a Des Moines,Iowa DSO - very likely body panels or floor/rockers/torque box replacement needed or done? Cowl vent leaking? This car has a GT badge but no GT striping on lower door but has chrome rocker trim - does not go together but maybe the previous owner customized? It has ‘65 styled steel wheels vs ‘66 wheels - not a big deal unless it was advertised as “original ‘66”. What documentation and receipts come with the car, what title history can be proven, are you mechanically inclined/ capable to do work on the car?
Big question is what are your goals for the car and how much is the Owner selling to you for?
Contact me if you like at [email protected] - good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts

The Photos the car looks great, but don't let covid be a excuse for not seeing the car in person. or having a Mustang expert from checking out the car. I spent 3 years looking for my 67 fastback, I almost purchased cars just from the photographs and video the owners sent. until I saw the cars up close, someone's 9 out of 10 might be your 6 out of 10.
I would ask for any documentation of work performed and restoration history photographs. the car is in Michigan not Arizona, be careful.

61 - 80 of 85 Posts