Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been doing my research and reading this forum, but so much of this is still new to me. Found a car that I love for sale. It's a 65 tribute. The tribute aspect is actually really tempting to me cuz I need this to be a daily driver.

my questions

Can a tribute retain it's value?
What should I be willing to pay?
What questions should I ask the seller?
And any other thoughts you have?!?!

Thanks fellas

here's some of the details and links to view:

auction link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170594928219#ht_16467wt_1167

http://img600.imageshack.us/i/009mz.jpg/

125,000 m, coupe, 8 cyl,

HERE IS A GREAT 1965 MUSTANG! I DID NOT GET IT PAINTED BECAUSE I THOUGHT SOMEONE MIGHT WANT TO PAINT IT THEIR OWN COLOR. THIS IS NOT A BONDO/RUST BUCKET. THE CAR IS LAZER STRAIGHT, ALL THE PANELS LINE UP FINE. IT WAS SEALED, PRIMERED, AND EXPOXY COATED. YOU CAN LEAVE IT AS IS, OR PAINT IT THE ORIGINAL SILVER BLUE METALLIC. I CAN ALSO ARRANGE TO HAVE IT PAINTED.

THE INTERIOR IS ALL REDONE TOP TO BOTTOM, ALL ELECTRICAL WORKS, FROM THE GAS GAUGE TO THE HORN.

THE MOTOR AND TRANSMISSION RUN LIKE NEW, NO LEAKS.

THE SUSPENSION IS SOLID, NEW SHOCKS, NEW TIRES, NEW BRAKES, AND NEW BRAKE LINES. THE CAR STEERS WITH ONE FINGER DOWN THE FREEWAY!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
One photo? Need more photos for more advice.

And what the hell is a tribute? Looks like a mustang to me.

How was that for ASAP?

-Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
WOW!!! Awesome ASAP. I just put up the Auction Link. If any of you buy it, just know you will not only potentially kill someone's dreams, but an innocent puppy somewhere will die as well.

I'm assuming a tribute from what I understand is somewhat of a clone or lots of new parts. Like I said. Very new to this.
-cheers

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Honestly, though, here's some solid advice.

Do not "love" this car. Love a car after you build it.

Millions of mustangs were built. If this deal goes sour or if there's something that bothers you, ASK QUESTIONS AND THEN THINK IT OVER. VMF is your friend here. We will answer as many questions as you care to ask, usually free of charge ;).

But please, oh please, don't love this car already. That's the biggest mistake you can make while shopping for a classic car.

-Matt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya, and thank you. I only say love b/c I've been looking for about a month and half now and this is the exact style I'm looking for along with exterior and interior. I would NOT paint it. Someday I hope to build my own, and then I will figure out a word bigger than love I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Welcome to the world of classic cars. Nothing ever happens quickly.

Many guys on here spend over 6 months shopping for a car until they find the right one at the right price.

I agree it's probably not worth the $7 bid. It's that high because the car is pretty. He managed to make both the interior and exterior look pretty. If the interior was new in boxes and came with the car, and the exterior was primed in blotchy flat gray, it wouldn't bid a dime over $6k.

Even if it's in great shape, It's still a C-code coupe project. I've owned two. They usually bring 2k-5k. The higher end is probably what you're looking at, with an EXTREMELY solid body and good mechanical shape.

I paid $3200 for my '67 C-code coupe. It's ugly. But now I've got maybe $5k into it and it already has all new "shiny" wheels, front discs, and a reliable powertrain. All of the rust repair is done and I drive it every day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'm still just freaked out about bidding online for car WITHOUT DRIVING IT!!! Still just seems a little too insane.

My car got totaled by an LA housewife on painkillers and texting which is why time is somewhat of the essence.

I just want to find a daily driver black 65-69 for around the 9-11k mark. Does it exist?

What do you think about this one?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2163757070.html

·
Registered
369 Posts
By "tribute", I'm guessing he's saying a GT tribute or clone. It has the tail treatment with the dual tips and valance, but thats about it. Still missing the driving lights up front and needs to remove the side qtr trim. That said, a coupe can be bought these days, with nice paint, for not much more than this is currently priced. I just looked a very clean blue 65 last month for 7500 bucks, much like this one but with a nice oem quality paint job. It does look like a decent car but I'd hold out and as advised, don't fall in love with a car before you have it. Ask me how I know.

And to answer your question, yes there are actually an abundance of what you described in that price range.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
For that kind of money you can get a very nice car, much nicer than the car on ebay. Just keep looking around if you can, but I also understand the time crunch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is it safe to not paint the car and leave as is? I like the flat black.

How much does it cost to get a quality paint job on a classic mustang?

And 1meancj7, I have to ask: How?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Is it safe to not paint the car and leave as is? I like the flat black.

How much does it cost to get a quality paint job on a classic mustang?

And 1meancj7, I have to ask: How?
I think that would depend on the environment, it was subjected to. Primer, as a rule is a porous paint, and was not intended to be used as a top coat. IMHO, I believe this car is way overpriced, and what your "Loving" is the detail job, this seller has provided. The Trunk does not appear to fit, as stated, and there are other signs, that this may be a quick "Clean-it-up & flip" car. I would not want to pay a dime over 3K , Unless It was possible to inspect it, closely. Another thing to be considered, are the safety issues, that may or may not have been addressed. Mustangs prior to 1968, were lacking many of the safety features, that the DOT required Ford to incorporate in their designs starting in '68. In fact the pre '68 cars, come with a steering column that's been referred to as, the "Spear-O-matic", which shouldn't need much more of an explanation. If I were looking for a DD, I would want Disc Brakes, Collapsible Steering Column, Head Rests,or High Back Seats, Side Marker lamps, etc. These were some of the changes made by Ford, in '68 and the later years. Be Patient, and the right deal, will present itself. Good Luck, in your Quest!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Looks good in primer, but painted would be a different animal. You can get by with more selling it in primer.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
my questions

And any other thoughts you have?!?!

If I knew what a tribute was then maybe :) Seriously, if you are using it as a daily driver then the answer is no, it will not maintain what you have into it.

It depends a lot on how solid the car really is. He gives some details but says nothing about the engine or transmission. For all you know they are on their last few miles. It also depends on where you live. Around here good solid Mustangs are scarce and it is worth a premium to buy one that is good.

You want him to tell you about the motor, transmission, rear axle, any signs of previous accident repair, etc?

Ask to see some pictures of the floors.

If you pay $7,000 for the car realize you are going to be putting in another $3,000 in the next year for the repairs the seller managed to gloss over. More if you want to paint it.

The last bit of advice is to see the car in person. Pictures and an eBay seller do not always make for success. See the 67 Shelby post down below for an example of a really scary eBay seller.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
I don't know what it's a tribute to other than being a nice solid car of the mid 60s.All in all it's a nice straight coupe V/8 auto with nice interior. Nice wheels and tires and it does look like a good straight body.If it's a minor or no rust car I would think it might be worth 8k. That is if it drives out good and doesn't need any mechanicals.If it's ready for paint you don't need to spend more than 3k on a paint job for a daily driver.Just my op.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks to all who have given their input. GREATLY APPRECIATED! Anymore expert advice out there? Love to have it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Advice

Fox, you're asking for advice. Here it is, you may not like it:
You're too impulsive. You'll over pay for this car and it could end up costing you even more in repairs that you don't know about.
What's your budget? Obviously at least 7K. If you need wheels, spend $2K on a used Honda to get you around while you continue to look at Mustangs. You don't know much about this car, you can't look at. Are the floors good, is the cowl good, has some schlub practiced being an electrician on it? Pics on ebay are a lot different than inspecting in person(with a knowledgable friend who is NOT in love with the car).

This is not a rare car that you have to worry about slipping from your fingers. Plenty of coupes around to choose from.

Do not be in love. Do not be infatuated. Don't even be platonic. Be a calculating, cold blooded shopper, patient and methodical. You'll then find the right car and will prevent yourself from having any buyer's remorse.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm still just freaked out about bidding online for car WITHOUT DRIVING IT!!! Still just seems a little too insane.

My car got totaled by an LA housewife on painkillers and texting which is why time is somewhat of the essence.

I just want to find a daily driver black 65-69 for around the 9-11k mark. Does it exist?

What do you think about this one?

1968 Ford Mustang
WOW, that '68 on Craigslist you showed us is even worse. I can tell that interior is in rough shape. Did you not see the Vise Grips that he is using as a passengers side window crank handle? It's definitley not worth $7k even if it is from California...

·
Registered
669 Posts
That 65 doesn't look bad for that price in California. But it is very hard to tell without seeing it in person and checking it out mechanically. No offense intended when I say this, but you guys in other parts of the country don't aren't really in touch with the prices in California and New York. They run quite a bit higher and there aren't nearly as many good deals as some of you guys come across in other parts of the country. Yes, we could hunt them down in other parts of the country, but that gets really expensive and counter balances the savings.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts