Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And boy was it fun!

Best Run:
14.122 ET
99.41 MPH
2.198 60' (on street tires)

And it was hella hot out at 112 degrees! It was the NHRA Street Legal Drags (1/4 mile) at California Speedway in Fontana, California.

My main goal was not to break anything and come home under my own power, which I thankfully accomplished. :thumbsup:

I think I'm hooked now - and I now have the itch for 13's! :pirate:

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/NHRA%20and%20Engine%209-09/NHRAAAASpeedway.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/NHRA and Engine 9-09/NHRAAAASpeedway.jpg

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/NHRA%20and%20Engine%209-09/NHRAStagingLanes.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k245/ryandnowicki/NHRA and Engine 9-09/NHRAStagingLanes.jpg

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Cool stuff! I'm pretty ill-informed when it comes to making guesses like this, but I'd wager there's at least a 13.4et in that car if you can manage to get the 60ft down to a 1.7 or so. Heck, while I'm running off at the mouth, I'll go out on a limb and wager that there's a 12.9x or 13.0x in that car if you get it to really hook and are feeling lucky.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! It was truly a blast, and since I'm so close to the 13s I'm just dying to break into them while still on my street tires.

I know that's a limiting factor, but I gotta see how the '67 runs in full street trim before I toss on some drag radials. I'd like to get a dyno tune, re-install my traction bars (they were off), and figure out a fuel pressure issue (Link to Thread in Main Forum) before the next event (in Oct).

As for specs -

ENGINE & EXHAUST:
- 351W (69 block) .030 over
- forged internals
- worked OEM iron heads
- Eddy Perf RPM cam
- Eddy Perf RPM intake
- Eddy 600 cfm carb
- Long-tube headers 1 5/8 into dual 2 1/2 w/ H pipe
- Flowmaster 40s

TRANNY:
- World Class T5
- Hurst competition plus shifter
- Centerforce dual friction clutch
- Hydraulic clutch system

DIFF:
- 8" limited slip with 3.55 gears

TIRES:
- 255/45/17 street tires on rear

BRAKES:
- Only important part here is the Line-Lock (which was a blast)!

CHASIS:
- Subframes
- 1" sway bar upfront
- 550lb front lowering springs with Arning drop
- KYBs on all 4
- 3/4" sway bar in rear
- 4 leaf HD rear leafs
- Monte Carlo bar
- (I need to re-install my under-rider traction bars, as they were off due to a bolt issue).

I had a fuel issue that I started another thread about in the main forum (link above), but for the most part I was really happy with the way the day turned out (except for the excessive heat!). Met some really cool people as well.

Two thumbs up to the NHRA for having events like this where anyone can run their cars on a full 1/4 mile! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think you will get into the 13s on your street tires. Your 60 time was better than my 2.3s. My car just doesnt leave hard at all. If I change the gears or converter I will need slicks. I'll be happy to keep the 65 in the 13s while focusing on my reaction times. I think r/ts will win or lose most races.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys - and practice I indeed will.

I've been told that a pretty good 60' on street tires is 2.0 flat, while a great 60' on street tires is 1.9. I've heard anything lower than 1.9 is almost impossible on street tires.

So for now, I'll shoot towards the 2.0, which should bring my ET down and raise my trap speed into the 3 digits. I can't wait for Halloween!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yep...2.0 sixty on regular radials is pretty good. 1.9 is very good and 1.8's are excellent.

Even if your mph stayed the same you would run 13.9x's with a 2.0 sixty on the same pass as posted above.

Add in some much cooler air and I think you'll be well into the 13's come fall...but the only thing is you're not practicing much if the next time you're going is in 3 months. :)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Sub 2.0 60' times on street tires are definitly acheiveable.

When I was racing the previous week with a friend, he was getting consistent 1.7/1.8 60's on a 275 17" Sumitomo and it was an IRS car.

I would be willing to guess track prep would start to play a role when shooting for good 60's times as well.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I am still learning the game here, but from what I heard at the track last weekend from other guys is that they do NOT prep the track very well at all for the NHRA Street Legal events. I won't let that be an excuse though, so I'm still gonna shoot for 2.0 or below.

And yeah - total bummer that I won't get any more practice time in before late October. :(

As for tire pressure - I know you run with sub 20 psi in drag radials, but what about street tires? Is it best to run with regular street psi (say 35psi, which is what I normally run on all 4) or something lower/much lower?

Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts