Vintage Mustang Forums banner

First year for shoulder belts?

537 Views 31 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Flade
A simple question: what year did shoulder belts become available, even as just an option?
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Premium Member
10,830 Posts
1968 was the first year for a Mustang option, and 1969 they became standard for passenger cars, 1973 for pickups I believe.

· Premium Member
8,305 Posts
Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Safety Standard, which took effect on January 1, 1968, that required all vehicles (except buses) to be fitted with seat belts in all designated seating positions.

although someone will contradict, every 1968 MODEL Mustang I have seen has had shoulder belts,

A car built December 12, 1967, if sold right away, would have slipped under the requirement, but if it sat on the dealers lot until 2 Jan, it would have been required.

Same requirement for side lights.

There are retrofit kits to put shoulder belts in 65 - 67 cars

· Registered
2,265 Posts
Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Safety Standard, which took effect on January 1, 1968, that required all vehicles (except buses) to be fitted with seat belts in all designated seating positions.

although someone will contradict, every 1968 MODEL Mustang I have seen has had shoulder belts,

A car built December 12, 1967, if sold right away, would have slipped under the requirement, but if it sat on the dealers lot until 2 Jan, it would have been required.

Same requirement for side lights.

There are retrofit kits to put shoulder belts in 65 - 67 cars
Mostly correct in that for MODEL YR 68, Ford would build them all to meet the requirement. But anything built in 67 would not need to have the 68 requirement.

· Registered
969 Posts
Yes you can retrofit them to '67 and earlier, I haven't seen any threads that anyone's '67 didn't have the hole and backing nut for the upper 3pt. mount, I think '65-'66 may have had the hole but you can get the backing nut/plate from the places that sell the 3pt. belts.

Here are a couple: Retractable Seat Belts 3 Point and Lap Belt Replacement Classic Ford Mustang Seat Belt Replacements | SeatbeltPlanet
They also make an extended sash for the top mount so the pull is closer to your shoulder and less chance the belt will rub your neck from roof down angle.

There are quite a few threads on installs of all years with a search.

I'd also suggest some newer seats or add head rests to yours, whiplash help. Some frown on using the '67 flip forward seats w/o lock (lock on '68>) but if you run into something with a lap belt, faceplant the steering wheel/ windshield and the seatback follows you (30 lbs?) and possibly snaps when you fly back I don't see how that's any worse than a 3pt. keeping you from faceplanting and the seatback still breaking rearward? It'd be less force if you don't fly forward first. I did the faceplant thing with the rearview mirror with lapbelt in a '70, no thanks, I'll do 3pt. in my '67 but I do have foxbody seats with headrests and I installed a '68 collapsible column.

· Registered
Dark Green 67 Convertible, 289, T5
36 Posts
Just curious, what did the 68 convertible OEM seat belts look like? I tried to google images but didn't find a clear view.

I have 67 vert and would like a better solution than what I have.

· Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
6,947 Posts
I'll say this as I've said in nearly every seat belt thread. Adding seat belts without proper engineering can turn a fender bender into a spinal injury. Your seats are NOT designed for it. The placement is critical as well as the strength of the anchors. It is NOT always a case of "better than nothing"

· Premium Member
10,830 Posts
I'll say this as I've said in nearly every seat belt thread. Adding seat belts without proper engineering can turn a fender bender into a spinal injury. Your seats are NOT designed for it. The placement is critical as well as the strength of the anchors. It is NOT always a case of "better than nothing"
Yes, they don't mount them where they do by accident.
What's the angle of advantage here, something like 37 degrees? I've read some number less than 40 recently.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I totally hear that. Even where the pressure points are on your body is critical. I just wanted to know what came with them. So, I could reasonably get a 68 with stock lap and shoulder belts. If I wanted to retrofit I’d certainly look into it being done “right”. Thanks for the warning, of course.

· Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Convertibles did not have shoulder belts in 68. I've seen folks retrofit them into verts..connected somewhere by the rear vent window. Looked kind of cheesy.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
A simple question: what year did shoulder belts become available, even as just an option?
For Mustangs, the answer is the 1967 model year, as just an option. Front seats only, and the shoulder belts only came in black. I've seen a blue interior car with all black belts, and a blue interior car with blue lap belts and black shoulder belt.

· Registered
8,133 Posts
Should belts became available Mid-year 1968 in the Mustang. They were an awkward set up with two belts, one for the lap and a second one for the shoulder. The shoulder belt could be stored up on the roof with Velcro and a clip. I have a set of original shoulder belts stored away somewhere. The modern one piece should/lap combo are a much better option.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
So far everyone else has said either 1968 at job one or 1968 mid-year or January 1, 1968 except me. Let me back up my statement that these were available as an option on coupes and 2+2s for the 1967 model year, albeit a very rare option. I'll back it up with a few documents including a Marti report that clearly denotes two options; (1) deluxe seat belts and (2) shoulder harness. I don't have the Marti book that has the statistics on percentages by option, so if somebody does I would appreciate it if you would check and respond with the number.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Document

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
According to the 1967 and 68 Mustang sales brochures, shoulder harnesses were an option in 67, but in 68 they were standard. As an MCA judge for 67 and 68 these are some of the documents, I might use for determining original equipment. I cannot speak for any earlier years.

· Registered
3,010 Posts
My '68, built in Dec. '67, did NOT have shoulder belts. The window/roof frame was designed for them, but the nut plate was not there. It was easy to retrofit shoulder belts where Ford intended them to be located.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts