Vintage Mustang Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,496 Posts
For the original poster, my 69 (and I assume 68's) has shoulder belts. The shoulder belt is a separate strap with a separate buckle from the waist belt. When you are strapped in properly snug, you cannot reach forward to change the radio station. No one piece inertia reel designs like every modern vehicle.

· Registered
976 Posts
So far everyone else has said either 1968 at job one or 1968 mid-year or January 1, 1968 except me. Let me back up my statement that these were available as an option on coupes and 2+2s for the 1967 model year, albeit a very rare option. I'll back it up with a few documents including a Marti report that clearly denotes two options; (1) deluxe seat belts and (2) shoulder harness. I don't have the Marti book that has the statistics on percentages by option, so if somebody does I would appreciate it if you would check and respond with the number.
View attachment 878179
So there we go, the '67> were designed for shoulder belts by Ford as original equipment.

I have been in 2 accidents in classic cars with just a lap belt, as driver in my totaled '70 and a rear seat passenger in a '74? Olds Cutlass S, both times I received cuts to my face and a stiff neck.

I choose to stay upright and not be flung forwards, then backwards again. We each choose how to build our cars, including safety features, based on experience and gathered knowledge. Being violently flying forward ~2ft. and back isn't what I prefer, ~6" with no contact with the steering wheel, dash or windshield is my preference.

I don't know how you would find examples of back injuries due to 3pt. belts in a classic but they are out there for injuries with lap belts only. The 1300hp Comet crash is one of them, it had shoulder harnesses, neither of them slipped them on and the passenger still had a back injury.

I found a vid of a child test dummy in the back seat with just a lap belt,
, would staying upright with a 3pt be worse? I can't find that.

· Registered
821 Posts
Yes, John (67gta289) is 100% correct on this being avaiklable for 67 Mustangs, as well as other Models. As a matter of fact, they were available from the beginning of the Model year, as evidenced by them being listed as an Option in the August,1966 Mustang Sales Brochure (copy attached). They also appear in the Ford Car Facts Book usually also printed in August of the Model Year ; my original includes Revisions from October of 1966), and in the October, 1966 issue of "Ford Parts and Service Merchandizing News", copies of each attached. Note that in the Ford Car Facts Book, this is shown as a Factory Option only, yet in the Dealer only Ford Parts and Service Merchandizing News, it is also noted as being available as a Dealer Installed Accessory. Unlike most Accessories, this was not available to the General Public, most likely due to Safety/ Liability concerns that Ford had. It is not even listed in the November, 1966 or May, 1967 Ford Price Lists.

To complete this "exercise" on 1967 Mustang Shoulder Harness Seat Belts, I am attaching copies fromthe 1967 Mustang Bodt Assembly Manual. Note again, that these were only available for the Front Seats. Add all of this to what John previously Posted, asnd you will have the complete story, with documentation.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Font Motor vehicle Automotive tire Newspaper Pattern
Font Paper Document Paper product
Font Parallel Paper Document Paper product
Font Poster Event Happy Art
Handwriting Organism Font Parallel Drawing
Font Parallel Slope Auto part Drawing

· Registered
6,241 Posts
As a kid, our 67 hardtop, 289 2V, PS, PB, AT, AC, AM radio, full console, full wheel covers, shoulder belts, standard interior, no decor packages.

· Registered
10,809 Posts
Thanks. I did not know shoulder belts were available for 1967 MY.

I am looking at By the Numbers by Kevin Marti and there is no mention of the shoulder belts. The lowest production option shown in 1967 was speed control at 55 units and next lowest radial tires at 1,383 units.

FWIW, my 68 DID NOT have shoulder belts
The regulation went into effect Jan 1, 1968
So far everyone else has said either 1968 at job one or 1968 mid-year or January 1, 1968 except me. Let me back up my statement that these were available as an option on coupes and 2+2s for the 1967 model year, albeit a very rare option. I'll back it up with a few documents including a Marti report that clearly denotes two options; (1) deluxe seat belts and (2) shoulder harness. I don't have the Marti book that has the statistics on percentages by option, so if somebody does I would appreciate it if you would check and respond with the number.
View attachment 878179

· Registered
821 Posts
There are several other Options besides the Shoulder Belts that are not listed in "Mustangs By the Numbers". A few years ago I contacted Kevin and asked about this. He noted that he purposley did not list all of the Options..He said he planned on adding them in the next printing (which to my knowledge has yet to occur). When I asked for "the numbers" for trhe specific Option which I was inquiring about at the time, he would not give them to me. He said they would be in the next printing.

So, remember, "Mustangs by the Numbers" is not an official Ford Publication ; just because he didn't list something, doesn't mean that it wasn't produced. One needs to go by what Ford listed; "Numbers" or not.

Bob

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Learn something new every day !

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

· Registered
8,144 Posts
View attachment 878179
Good point, I didn’t consider when they became available as an option. They became mandated 1 Jan 1968, prior to that they were available as an option.

· Premium Member
6,398 Posts
I looked and Mustang by the Numbers and saw that ~ 20% of all 68's had head rests. I always thought they were a pretty rare option. Apparently not.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
I looked and Mustang by the Numbers and saw that ~ 20% of all 68's had head rests. I always thought they were a pretty rare option. Apparently not.
I find that number way high. They weren’t even available until late in the year.

· Premium Member
6,398 Posts
I'm just the messenger. Maybe the decimal point is in the wrong place in the book. Maybe it's 2%.

· Registered
8,144 Posts
I'm just the messenger. Maybe the decimal point is in the wrong place in the book. Maybe it's 2%.
That would make more sense from my experience. In 40+ years of being around Mustangs I have only seen a handle with the headrests. I read somewhere it was 4% but I have no idea where that number came from. They were much more common in Cougars.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts